Scoping an RWS

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Scoping an RWS

Post by Tbag » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Because I value the opinons of this board I figured I'd throw this one out there to hear what you think.

Have a spare Nikon Monarch scope laying around collecting dust and have a RWS air rifle that is begging to be glassed. The question is will the recoil of the RWS beat the tar out of the Monarch rifle scope. Or is the supposed double recoil of an air rifle not truly a big deal for a better scope as compared to cheaper glass that comes out of china? I tend to believe that shockproof is shockproof and scope makers are just trying sell the double recoil as a marketing scheme.

My gut tells me to use it and if it becomes a problem I have a lifetime warranty that I can fall back upon.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Yes you can go ahead and use it, and yes it will shake it to pieces.

Optics, other than those designed for spring air, aren't designed for the back/forth/and shake an air rifle will dish out.
FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Skip the optics and install a Williams "foolproof" aperture sight instead. I tried this once with a Beeman R-1 and it worked out really well.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm with stork, a scope designed for springers is the only thing that will last very long. The scope's internals get beat up rather quickly from the shock of the piston.

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 pm

Ah, just as I figured too, and I would really hate to shake apart a scope that has served me so well.

08 Cayenne

Post by 08 Cayenne » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:54 pm

I put a Leupold VX-II 3x9-33 EFR on my RWS 350 Magnum, it's rated for heavy springers. It works nicely.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Looks nice too!

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:25 pm

I got a reply from Nikon last week and was pleasantly surprised to read that the Monarch can handle a springer. They said I could use with no issue and it would not void the warranty if used on an air rifle.

Now I am waiting on a return email from Aimpoint, as I am toying with putting my Comp3 2x2 on it instead. At 2x magnified it may be very nice for the nights I go hunting with it.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:20 pm

charlesb wrote:Skip the optics and install a Williams "foolproof" aperture sight instead. I tried this once with a Beeman R-1 and it worked out really well.
A hearty thumbs up to charlesb for this suggestion.
I put a foolproof on my Contender 300WM and absolutely love it.
My tired old eyes do not like scopes very much and as such I rarely ever shoot anything past 200 yards, so this great ole sight is perfect.

Nice looking setup you have there Cayenne.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]