Wasp spray

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Wasp spray

Post by Hakaman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:09 am

Anybody ever hear of this?
Subject: Fw: Wasp spray

I know from experience just a little inhaled will give you "chemical" bronchitis almost immediately...not a pleasant experience.

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someones evil plans for you.
Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, a self defense expert has a tip that could save your life. Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania
Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed. Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them." Glinka considers
it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police
department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead. The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.

Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

End.

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:49 pm

What an interesting concept. And, like you said, it looks innocuous enough to not arouse suspicion.

Ripsaw
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:22 pm

I looked it up on snopes.com and the exact same articles are found within the write up. I'm not sure how effective wasp spray is on humans. I'd hate to trust my self defense on something that's untested for that precise purpose.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Bullseye wrote:I looked it up on snopes.com and the exact same articles are found within the write up. I'm not sure how effective wasp spray is on humans. I'd hate to trust my self defense on something that's untested for that precise purpose.

R,
Bullseye
230 grain JHP's are a known and proven deterrent? :lol:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:30 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Bullseye wrote:I looked it up on snopes.com and the exact same articles are found within the write up. I'm not sure how effective wasp spray is on humans. I'd hate to trust my self defense on something that's untested for that precise purpose.

R,
Bullseye
230 grain JHP's are a known and proven deterrent? :lol:
.22's are better for wasps. 230gr should be held in reserve for attack squirrels. :lol:

Wasp spray would be a pretty good deterrent for someone at a distance who is not overly determined. Probably work pretty good with lots of yelling and screaming as you apply it. Pepper spray is better because it will do a better job of incapacitating the BG.

230gr JHP is much better deterrent.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Pepper spray is better because it will do a better job of incapacitating the BG. 230gr JHP is much better deterrent.
That sounds like some good advice Mr. Greener. When I go out for my neighborhood walks, I usually carry both, "bear spray" and my PM-9. I figure I'll let a big dog take a chunk out of me first before I introduce him to a 9mm. It would have to be a big dog that was threatening my existance though. The bear spray is my first choice. I figure if that can stop a black bear, it can stop a mangy ole mutt. By the way, a little mutt came charging out of the house today on my walk, lucky for him and me it was on an extended leash and stopped 10 feet from me. I'd have to drop kick him back in to the house.
Haka

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:01 pm

The bear spray is basically an EPA registration of pepper spray for use as an animal (bear) repellent. By the way, Hakka, it is a violation of federal law to use a pesticide in violation of the label directions. Dress all of your BGs up like bears before you spray them. :wink: :lol: MMmmwaaaaa!!!\\

TB (former EPA Pesticides and Toxics Enforcement Officer)
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm

regular ol' pepper spray work fine on dogs, no need for the bear juice, besides it ain't leagal in MI to carry anything over 2% OC or CS the OC/CS combo have been the best imho

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 pm

That's true, most postal carriers in urban areas carry regular pepper spray as a deterrent to hostile pooches.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 pm

I've sprayed more doggies than people....I swear by it for dogs (bad dogs not good ones like Bear! :wink: OM)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:07 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I've sprayed more doggies than people....I swear by it for dogs (bad dogs not good ones like Bear! :wink: OM)
Your thoughts are appreciated and probably saved you from a butt kicking b an old man and an old dog. Not sure if we would succeed but we would try and if you kicked our butts, you can't brag about kicking old people and dogs, just don't look good. :roll: :roll:

greener

Post by greener » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:10 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:The bear spray is basically an EPA registration of pepper spray for use as an animal (bear) repellent. By the way, Hakka, it is a violation of federal law to use a pesticide in violation of the label directions. Dress all of your BGs up like bears before you spray them. :wink: :lol: MMmmwaaaaa!!!\\

Obviously the label should be changed to allow BG's. :lol:
Does running the stream over a lighter on the way to the BG count as disposal? I've always been a little confused by FIFRA.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:56 am

greener wrote:
Tigerbeetle wrote:The bear spray is basically an EPA registration of pepper spray for use as an animal (bear) repellent. By the way, Hakka, it is a violation of federal law to use a pesticide in violation of the label directions. Dress all of your BGs up like bears before you spray them. :wink: :lol: MMmmwaaaaa!!!\\

Does running the stream over a lighter on the way to the BG count as disposal? I've always been a little confused by FIFRA.
Don't know if it counts or not but sure would increase the effectivenes and the show qualities.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:52 pm

greener wrote:

That would still be "use inconsistent with directions for use." :)
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:40 pm

The bad guys have more laws to protect them than good guys do. WTH ?
Also, it's getting to the point where animals are more important then humans tooo. 2xWTH ?
So if I have bear spray and a dog is ripping me to pieces, I can't defend myself with it? 3xWTH ?
Haka