Thanks to all Veterans

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Thanks to all Veterans

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks to all veterans who have served this country here and abroad. Without your service we would not be able to enjoy the life style we enjoy today.

Thank You for you service.

David
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 31, 2010 7:21 pm

It's not only the vets but the ones on active duty who are holding the line today that also deserve much of our appreciation.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 31, 2010 7:24 pm

Bullseye wrote:It's not only the vets but the ones on active duty who are holding the line today that also deserve much of our appreciation.

R,
Bullseye
I agree, I have a grandson and a grandsoninlaw in the service. The grandsoninlaw has just started a year in Iraq, I believe. Th grandson did some duty in Kuwait last year. Grandson is Navy Corpsman and grandsoninlaw is Army 2nd Lt.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon May 31, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Blue. All of our military personnel, past and present deserve our thanks.

BSOM, here's hoping your relations complete their service safely.

Bullseye, you are absolutely correct.

Yleefox

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 pm

I feel sheepish when people paint with that broad of a brush. I was on a Navy repair tender tied up in Subic Bay, PI. or somewhere in Japan for much of Vietnam. I am not a war hero, never served in-country, got shot or shot anyone else, but I know what some of our boys went thru. Thirty five years later, I still welcome them home as I meet them.

If I live long enough, I will shake hands with every combat vet alive. Some of the Families of Combat Vets had it worse, I knew I was okay.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I feel sheepish when people paint with that broad of a brush. I was on a Navy repair tender tied up in Subic Bay, PI. or somewhere in Japan for much of Vietnam. I am not a war hero, never served in-country, got shot or shot anyone else, but I know what some of our boys went thru. Thirty five years later, I still welcome them home as I meet them.

If I live long enough, I will shake hands with every combat vet alive. Some of the Families of Combat Vets had it worse, I knew I was okay.
You went where the Navy sent you, and did your job. Welcome home, my brother.
I grew up with John Wayne movies, and I wanted to be a war hero and tell war stories. So when the time came I volunteered for the Army, and voluntered for Vietnam. They gave me a couple of medals but I ain't no hero, just a survivor. The real heros are on The Wall in Washington.
I don't tell war stories either.
But I know what you mean - for a long time I felt that I wasn't a real Nam vet because I wasn't wounded. Sounds silly, doesn't it?
Thank you for serving our country.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:33 am

Well said! A few months ago I was in Wally World and noticed a Vets hat and thanked him for his service. Turned out he was an USS Indianapolis Survivor. If, you know that story, then you know what a rare thing that was meeting him. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 pm

There aren't very many of those folks left around let alone a USS Indy survivor! I'll bet he doesn't get many restful nights.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:24 pm

I have a soft spot in my heart for all of our military personnel, active or otherwise, who have served our country with honor, regardless of their role. It doesn't matter to me if they took part in a conflict or not. Or if they were actually in combat or not. When they took the oath, there was no way of they could know if they might be in harms way or not. Plenty of service men and women have been seriously injured or killed in non combat related incidents.
As a child growing up next to a Naval Air Station, I witnessed the loss of 9 flyers (more than one accident) during training missions, for example. On the other hand, my father-in-law, served in the Coast Guard during WWII, while at the same time working his dairy farm. Never a shot fired in his direction.
I guess I'm beginning to ramble on here, but the point is, Curm, your service was of value to the USA and that is what really counts..sir.
Yleefox

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:58 pm

My dad was a member of the 406 Fighting Group, was based in Germany toward the end of WWII. http://www.406thfightergroup.org/ They use to have reunions every 2 yrs, which has now stopped since there were only 6 of them left 3 yrs ago. My dad turns 88 this Aug.

He was part of the ground support group to keep the planes running. Which required starting the engines when the temp was well below freezing. From what he tells me it was very difficult to get the engines to turn over with 90w motor oil that was used in the engines back then.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 am

I have always had the highest respect for the men who served. I taught that to my children too. I have a daughter who started a outfit called Helping Hero's. She gets money from donation's and things like bake sales. She makes up boxes to send to the boy's/girl's over in Iraq and the Rock Pile. She's been sending about 21 boxes every 3 months for 2yrs now.

Here's a loaded box.

Here she is at a sale at the hospital.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 am

She is doing a great thing! I'm sure you're proud of her. Having been on the receiving end of these kind of packages I can say first hand that it does a lot to pick up spirits of the troops. Knowing that folks back home care and support them goes a long way.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Around Thanksgiving and Christmas my house looks like a supply depot.. :lol: That's OK with me as I feel that the least we can do for boys/girls who are over seas. :D

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 am

I have made many mistakes in my life, and done a few dumb things as well.. but the dumbest mistake I ever made was not staying in the army. I was a captain in the Med Ser Corps as a med. entomologist. I had served one tour in Thailand - now that was interesting - in 67-68, and then came back to the 3rd Army Med Lab at Ft Mac, Ga. My CO, a colonel did his best to talk me into to staying in. But I was more interested in getting back to Montana and chasing forest insects. Never made it back to Montana, my new wife - now for 40 years - grew up in Atlanta and didn't want to live on a mountain. I can't complain, life has treated me well. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:39 am

So, you were one of the few folks in the Army who knew exactly what was bugging him? :lol:

Lots of critters for an entomologist in the sunny South, but probably not as interesting as those in the Montana mountains, or at least the scenery was better.