Learned something about Virginia "handgun a month"

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Learned something about Virginia "handgun a month"

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Didn't realize until I looked it up today that Virginians with carry permits are exempt from Virginia's one handgun purchase in 30 days limit. Sometimes it pays to read all the "fine print".
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:34 pm

That restriction is such a, pardon me, b.s. law that it should be criminal. The snit that states come up with never cease's to amaze me.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I recall something about a Federal reporting requirement on the FFL for more than one purchase a month by one individual. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:37 pm

One handgun per month was pushed by the Brady campaign. Virginia decided that was a great idea, but did allow more than one per month for certain folks, including CCW holders. There seems to be some reluctance by the FFL's to use the CCW on the application unless it is really more than one in 30 days. (Plug for VCDL. They are working to remove the one/month).

The advantage of one per month would be to my bank account lately. SWMBO has threatened to spend as much on her hobby as I do on mine. Hers in genealogy and the family lines are in Great Britain.

The disadvantage would be all these wonderful bargains I'd miss.

When I moved from Michigan, Virginia had a better Grady rating than than the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Michigan because of the one-gun-month. I just checked the latest scorecard and Virginia rates 17, Michigan 23. bgreene and oldman, you guys need to get busy.

As a point of reference, California and New Jersey have 73 of 100 Brady scores. Arizona is 2 of 100.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:10 am

The one a month rule applies to private sales as well, with the same exemptions. That puts a snag in moving my black Bobcats quicker, unless a FFL or CCW should want to buy both. May be, a dealer could probably resell them at a small profit.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Private sales are excluded. They can't track it. Suppose I bought one from you and a couple days later bought one from my next door neighbor. Neither sale goes through VSP, so they have no way of tracing the purchase.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2440

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 pm

greener wrote:Private sales are excluded. They can't track it. Suppose I bought one from you and a couple days later bought one from my next door neighbor. Neither sale goes through VSP, so they have no way of tracing the purchase.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2440

From the Virginia State Police website:

"What are the laws concerning the private sale of a handgun?
To privately sell a firearm, it is recommended that you safeguard information pertaining to the transaction such as the date the firearm was sold, the complete name and address of the buyer, and the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. The seller and buyer of a handgun must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs. Additionally, Virginia’s handgun purchase limitation applies in private transactions. Refer to http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Mul ... chase.shtm for additional information on multiple handgun purchases. Should the firearm ever be located at a crime scene, trace of the firearm will determine the licensed dealer who last sold the firearm and will identify the last buyer of the firearm. To have your name removed from this process, you may consider placing your firearm on consignment with a licensed dealer. This will also ensure that the firearm is transferred only to a lawfully eligible individual."

So if you sell one guy two guns, you screw up. Especially if he's undercover.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Looks like you are correct. I'd read this part about a multiple handgun certificate not being required

"When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics."

So, I make the case that a pair of Bobcats are to be added to my personal collection of curios and relics? OK, I'm a Bobcat collector. :lol:

Unless you are a suspect and under investigation, they cannot enforce private sales. I'd probably stay away from buying a number of handguns from the same person at the same time. If someone wanted more than one in a month, he can find two different sellers in the Trader.

Getting the CCW is IMO a good idea for several reasons. Among those is that it gives you a little cover under the concealed firearms rules. It is darned easy to go from unconcealed to concealed in your car, etc.

Hopefully all this will go away during the next legislative section. The only folks who are inconvenienced by the law are those who intend to obey the law.