BB gun

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

BB gun

Post by Hakaman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:28 pm

I have a question for anybody who can help:
I need a BB gun to ward off the critters the "continue to take up residence under my deck.
I have put up thatching, backed by chicken wire, and the varmints dig under, and chew through the synthetic thatching.
I trim the area with lava stones, and they keep digging in the stones and throwing them all over the place.
Over the last 3 years, I have caught (live trap) 11 coons, 3 opossums, and believe it or not 1 skunk.
I can't tell what critter it is that is making a mess now, but I think a BB or two will send them a message.
BB gun requirements:
*Not real loud, because of all the tree huggers around.(probably most important requirement).
*Not sure whether a pistol or rifle would be the best, pistol=easier to conceal, rifle = easier to aim and hit.
* I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't want junk.

Any help would be great.
thanks, Haka

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 pm

You do have a big problem. Wish I could help but I haven't used a BB gun since the old Red Rider days. Lots of guys around here have Gamo's.

Here's a link. :idea:

http://www.gamousa.com/rifles.aspx

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:20 pm

You know, I understand the new Red Ryders aren't bad up to 100 feet or so.........????????

I think I've seen 'em for about forty bucks, and spring powered, don't need anything but BB's.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:37 pm

I think moving up to a pellet gun may be more beneficial. Give you more power and just as quite, but they do cost more.

I still have a Red Rider and a Crossman Pistol that has a label Patent Pending on it. Man I'm getting old :? But these do not have much power. Now if your task is to just piss them off by all means get a Co2 simi-auto pistol.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm

I have a Crosman "American classic" air pistol from way back, it punches nice neat holes with good pellets, or you can load up with darts or the .177" ball bearings.

Pump action (the barrel's underside is a lever to pump up the air reservoir) to a variable output (one pump for indoor target shooting, two for cockroaches or rats (Hawaii barracks living), more for anything else.

The new ones have a goofy-looking brass handle for the chamber, mine is a featureless sleeve you turn and retract to access the chamber/barrel and load a single projectile. If mine came with a scope rail or a peep sight, I don't remember ever mounting them and I surely don't have them now. The pistol is still on the shelf, I suppose it is the "gun" I've owned the longest of anything.
Other than the sights and handle, the ones on the shelf now seem the same and run ~$50 (I think) ... which gets you a pretty good air pistol that will last maintenance free for at least a decade.

Apparently it still has an accessory shoulder stock available, even!
http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-American- ... B0018LB9A0

Apparently it is very common, it even has a wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosman_1377

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:50 pm

I have a crossman 1377 pump up pistol (about 15 years old). .177 pellets.
With 10 pumps, it will put a dent about 3/16 in deep in an old aluminum sauce pan that is about 3/16 in thick, at 20 yards. Accurate too. They cost about $50 or so depending on where you get it. Wall-K-box stores have them. Very effective on 'tree rats' (squirrels)
I also have a Beeman RS 2 single shot rifle with interchangeable barrels in .177 and .22. It is a break barrel action, sort of heavy but very accurate. It has a MV of about 600 fps in .22 cal. It put a .22 pellet completely through a 3/4 in pine board and burried itself about 5/8 in. into an oak board behind the pine. With both barrels, and a scope (package deal) Paid about $120 for it, but have seen it with single barrel for about $89 in various places.
I like both. I also have 3 Red Ryders, one is very old. Ok for mice, etc.
I just finished rebuilding an old (1967) Crossman Mdl. 180 - CO2 rifle for an uncle. It is a .22 and will put a pellet about 1/4 in deep in a weathered 2x4 board from about 20 feet.
Sort of just have to look around to see what fits your needs. Good Hunting

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 pm

HAK, take a look at this. Comes with a scope, very quite, and ships free. This is the best air gun supplier. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_T ... ocity/2291
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:32 pm

These guys are down in Florida here. They make some real nice rifles that would take care of your problem, and the neighbors would never know. :lol:

http://www.gamousa.com/family.aspx?familyID=71

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:09 am

Midway is having a sale on the Gamo whispers http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... t101820102

I use pointed pellets for varmints. They dispatch them very well.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 pm

I was considering the Gamo whisper, but was told that it was illegal to own in Michigan because of the "silencer"?
Maybe that isn't true? I did end up buying the Crosman Quest 1000, below, at Bass Pro Shop, but mine included
a 4x scope for a total of $115. I shot it down stairs into a 1 inch piece of high quality pine, and the pellets
were just making it thru the board. I found it to be consistently accurate, and it appeared to hold it's accuracy
with the irons(plastics), and the scope. I think it is sufficient to take out a varmint. I am going to set up a live trap
tonight and catch whatever is tearing at the deck apron in an attempt to get under the deck for refuge.
If and when I catch the little bugger, I am going to send it into it's after life with a pellet between the eyes !
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=947374
Thanks for your help, haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:56 pm

My guess is either a woodchuck or a opossum burrowing under your deck. My father was having a similar problem near Cleveland and woodchucks were the culprits. He shot some with is .22 Savage rifle but the ones that were too close to the house were live trapped and dispatched at a safe site.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:39 pm

I see alot of critters coming out of the "sliver" of woods that meanders through our sub division.
Deer, coyote, coons, fox, opossum, skunk, raptors, and nasty woodpeckers. Strangely enough,
I haven't seen any woodchucks, but have live trapped opossum several times, along with 11 coons,
and 1 skunk (I sure hope I don't get another!). Whatever critter it is, it isn't successful anymore
at getting under the deck because I have the deck lattice backed up with chicken wire.
But the darn things still rip away at the lattice thinking they will make it all the way through. We'll see soon.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm

"silencers and mufflers" in michigan only applies to firearms, which a .177 air gun is not