"Go-to" gun

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:43 am

It was Hornady critical defense ammo, but they also list the FTX round, which is filled.

Wonder how well it works?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:51 pm

It should be very good. Hornady design the bullet to have very good expansion at lower velocity, to limit fragmentation and disperse all of the energy without going through COM. It was originally developed for the 380 round. And the last time I looked 38spl +P was the upper end. Calibers greater than 38spl do not have limited energy to work with like the 380, 9mm and 38spl. The purpose was for home defense which have a different set of requirements than law enforcemnet. Law enforcement may need to shoot through glass, car doors and other hard surfaces. For home defense it was design not to over penetrate to protect others. On the FBI penetration test it only did 10" not the 12" min required to pass the test. If I recall Guns and Ammo had a good write up when it was released.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm

the filling on the FTX rounds is to avoid the problem of the Hollow point getting clogged up with fabric/wallboard/whatnot and not expanding, same thing Corbon did with their Pow'r Ball stuff. it allegedly is supposed to help guns that have feed issues w/ hp ammo too.

glockster68

Post by glockster68 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:12 pm

custom glock 19 or my other carry a glock 27.

Long gun- FN/Winchster 12ga loaded with buckshot.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 am

Hakaman wrote:I love my Smith 686-6 6" fully lugged 357 revolver.
It is accurate, comfortable to shoot, don't have to chase
brass around, shoots spl's or magnums, built well, simple design,
and the S&W name has some nostalgic respect to it.
I presume it will always have a decent resale value.
Just my 2 cents,
Haka
When I think of a .357 revolver, the 6" Smith 686 is the revolver that comes to mind.

I have had two of them. One had an adjustable front sight for silhouette shooting, and the other one didn't.

Really excellent guns. A great candidate for " If I could only have one handgun ".

I wish I had one now! - The only .357 in the house right now is an old Contender in .357 Max.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:55 pm

When I think of a .357 revolver, the 6" Smith 686 is the revolver that comes to mind.
I have been doing a lot of shooting with this gun lately. I have been getting my loads "honed" in the way I like them. I think what has made the difference in my loads is a "roll crimp" instead of the taper. The 38sp seems to work better with a roll crimp. Maybe it's just the S&W revolver that's the difference?

dan10mmman

Post by dan10mmman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Myself I will grab my Glock 20, 10mm hits harder than a 357 and carries 10 more rounds. Works every time and is as tuff as a gun gets.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm not sure I've ever gone to the range with just one gun. Or even just one caliber.

If I was forced to decide on ONE handgun and ONE long gun, I'd starve to death standing in front of my safe trying to make up my mind.

There are a few I could live with out, and maybe even one or two I'd sell if I was desperate, but to choose just ONE of my babies? Not gonna happen.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:27 pm

ruger22 wrote:My Mark III.
Used to be, I guess the novelty has worn off. A Bobcat goes the most, being my carry choice I always shoot a few mags each trip. The "fun gun" varies among the Rugers, with the 10/22 going the least. Less fun with a scope, I may go back to the irons on it.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Favorite pistol

Post by Coach1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:03 pm

I like all my pistols and try to shoot all of them regularly in rotation. But I would say my favorite remains my first - a Springfield XDM in 9MM with a 3.8 inch barrel and XS Systems Big Dot tritium sights. It is accurate at the modest defensive distances I want, runs flawlessly with any ammo that I feed it. Field stripping it is way easy, too. It is the right size for CCW.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones