School board shooting

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 pm

When I saw the video the first time I immediately noticed the stance the criminal shooter took was one of a conventional pistol marksman. He had the gun extended with one hand in "bullseye" fashion, body positioned at 45° angle away from the victims, and even the unused hand was tucked into his pants pocket. When his wife said he was a skilled marksman, I took that to mean he had at one time been a target shooter. However, his mental problems and prior convictions made him ineligible to own a firearm but that surely didn't stop him from possessing and using one to commit another crime. I don't believe he intended to hit anyone but when you fire a pistol in the direction of others there's always that chance of hitting something you didn't intend to shoot. I don't pretend to know what makes someone take others hostage and place them in harm's way like that. He could have saved a lot of folks grief by simply committing suicide in private instead of the manner he chose with those people present. Fortunately the security guard took him down before he actually hurt anyone but now he'll have to live with that action for the rest of his life.

R,
Bullseye

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't think he was trying to hit anyone either--he would have killed the woman or just moved in to "point blank" range.

I mean no offense to anyone in the field, but those folks are in "education". A majority of people with careers in education are liberal by nature (don't believe in gun ownership) and it shouldn't be a surprise that they failed to "attack" when the woman made a move.

I'm not putting them down--it takes all kinds to make this world and drumming up the courage to act under fire ain't easy--especially if it doesn't just come to you instinctively.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:26 pm

greener wrote:Agree with the gun free zone, dave. However, there are places you just don't figure you need to go armed. I once thought they were college campi and buildings like this. Guess I was wrong.
Greener, while I agree that there are places one doesn't anticipate the need for a weapon, that is hardly a reason to prohibit them by law.
And lifting the (ineffective and stupid) ban wouldn't require anyone to carry, it would simply remove the big "guaranteed unarmed victims" sign that currently enables scumbags to pick nice soft targets so easily.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:06 am

Well said Haka and you and I think about the same.
Us Michiganders have to stick together, everybody picks on us !
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:40 am

Hakaman wrote:
Well said Haka and you and I think about the same.
Us Michiganders have to stick together, everybody picks on us !
Haka
Ya!. but we are TRolls that live down under da Bridge, eh?
My oldest son is married to a Yooper they met in college "Fishigan Tech" They have a Summer home in Iron River.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:12 am

Bullseye. I see you noticed his stance also. looked like a target shooter. Notice in the video the round striking the table between two people, very interesting.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:17 am

I noticed his stance and aim, also. But it seemed to me that he was very casual, almost like he was inebriated in they way he was handling the pistol. We'll never know whether the misses were mental state or intentional. In the interviews, the board president claimed the bullets were "within inches." If someone were shooting at me, my definition of "close" would include a bunch of inches.

I saw a Fox interview of the Security Guard. He wanted to be left alone for 24 hours and, surprisingly, the press did that. He then gave as many interviews as people wanted. The Fox interview was more about his 26-year "Salvage Santa" program. Pretty impressive guy. Those folks are fortunate to have him around for a number of reasons.

http://www.salvagesanta.com/

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 pm

while his stance waas good his trigger control sucked you see him slap the trigger and flinch badly

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:38 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:while his stance waas good his trigger control sucked you see him slap the trigger and flinch badly
Maybe the noise bothered him?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:12 pm

nerves....

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:53 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:nerves....

Sudden attack of total stupidity????

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:42 pm

If you allow me my take on it? Who cares what he really intended...I was taught you don't shoot in the vicinity of anything you don't want to destroy. Also: (1.) Never be unarmed, anywhere......; and (2.) If you do find yourself unarmed and in the company of someone even threatening to do you harm -- run! If he's crazy, he'll be nervous and probably be unable to hit you...and if he's criminal, he probably doesn't know how to shoot that well and will probably be unable to hit you. If innocents are involved, that's another matter entirely. Why those board members sat there and didn't help out the lady with the purse is beyond me....

But again, if you are armed, and skilled, and committed....the problem will be instantly resolved. I believe concealed carry to be a moral issue.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:13 pm

cousin jack wrote:If you allow me my take on it? Who cares what he really intended...I was taught you don't shoot in the vicinity of anything you don't want to destroy. Also: (1.) Never be unarmed, anywhere......; and (2.) If you do find yourself unarmed and in the company of someone even threatening to do you harm -- run! If he's crazy, he'll be nervous and probably be unable to hit you...and if he's criminal, he probably doesn't know how to shoot that well and will probably be unable to hit you. If innocents are involved, that's another matter entirely. Why those board members sat there and didn't help out the lady with the purse is beyond me....

But again, if you are armed, and skilled, and committed....the problem will be instantly resolved. I believe concealed carry to be a moral issue.
Never leave the house without one. Too old to run, too old to fight and too old to take a butt kicking, so bad guys beware.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:08 pm

OM, you always seem prepared when you step out into the world. I actually feel a little vulnerable when I don't have my carry with me.
I don't think the public hears of all the robberies and thefts, especially at mall parking lots and such.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Hakaman wrote:OM, you always seem prepared when you step out into the world. I actually feel a little vulnerable when I don't have my carry with me.
I don't think the public hears of all the robberies and thefts, especially at mall parking lots and such.
I think you just don't hear of a lot of them.