Midway CS-Excellent

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Midway CS-Excellent

Post by greener » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 pm

I just had some outstanding Customer Service and response from Midway. I was surprised by the prompt, courteous and helpful responses from Midway CS and Larry Potterfield. Excellent folks to buy from.

In early December I ordered a Cylinder & Slide sear/hammer kit from Midway, the one I can be followed bumbling through the installation in the Technical forum. Holiday mail slowed delivery and I questioned Midway a couple of times about shipping and delivery. My emails were answered within a few hours of sending, including the one late on 12/23 which was answered by both their CS department and Larry Potterfield, CEO, who gave me a choice of not being billed for the first order and a cancel or them shipping a second order at no charge.

The first order arrived last week and the second order (supposedly backordered until after 1/4) arrived today. I haven't decided whether to keep the second order and tell them to bill me, or to return it to them. I have a second "project: 1911.

Next time I'll pay a bit extra for UPS rather than USPS for the ability to track.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 am

I find Midway CS the "best" in the market, hands down. The only negative
about them is that they are not the least expensive when buying items.
They have a fair price, but not the best out there, price wise. With that
being said, most of my orders are done with MidwayUSA !
I would rather spend a couple bucks extra to get great CS .
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 pm

The only gripe I have with Midway is that they do not have anyone in shipping that knows how to ship bulk (1k boxes) bullets, heavy items. I quit ordering bullets from them when the boxes always come busted up and some missing. They always covered the missing count when I called and reported the problem. If you only order 1 box your good, but 2+ your in trouble. After the third time I gave up on them. The last one I had was a mixed weight, 115, 124 where both boxes were busted. I had to sit down and sort 3k bullets. They have always been very courteous and even got an email from Larry saying they were working on the problem. For some reason they think the little air bags will hold a 10# box back if dropped, NOT. One of the orders where packed with the peanuts, what a mess I had on that order. They may have got it straighten out by now but it's not worth the hassell for me. I will order most any thing else from them including small 100 count bullets, but not the heavy stuff.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm

I quit ordering bullets from them when the boxes always come busted up and some missing.
Actually, I forgot about it, but I have encountered the same problem when I ordered 4-100rd boxes of Sierra 243. I usually order bullets elsewhere, but I did have the same problem you mentioned, just forgot about it. And they did compensate me for the issue. Like you, I order most other stuff from them. You would think they would fix that issue so it wouldn't happen again ???

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 pm

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Midway and I give them a A+ for service. I worked for UPS one Christmas and if you ever saw how they throw things around you would know why so much stuff gets damaged. I know Midway packs with good intentions but UPS is awful rough with the freight.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Midway and I give them a A+ for service. I worked for UPS one Christmas and if you ever saw how they throw things around you would know why so much stuff gets damaged. I know Midway packs with good intentions but UPS is awful rough with the freight.
Midway is great, like I said, I order from them all the time. For some reason though, they don't pack multiple boxes of ammo securely enough. I have heard this from several sources now. I ordered some 243win ammo, 2 boxes of 70g, and 2 boxes of 90g. They were packed with other various items and secured with the "pillow" type air bags. There wasn't enough of the bags to secure them and they bounced around quite a bit, 2 of the sealed Sierra boxes opened and spilled all over the place. Another box was just about open. Their cs was very apologetic and sent me 2 replacement boxes. Just the same, I have ordered bulk ammo from other stores and have yet to have this type of problem.
I like your avatar, I just watched the old and new versions of "True Grit".
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm not fond of UPS. You can't spell stupid without the letters U-P-S. They totally disregard the packages they move. One time, I received a package that was just dumped outside and the box was rapped in brown paper and relabeled. Half the contents were missing. Needless to say I wasn't pleased but that's only one example of their repeated incompetence.

As far as Midway is concerned, I've had a few issues with them but they've always made good on my concerns. In one case, I not only received follow-up e-mails from Larry but from the customer service manager too.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:42 pm

I have remarked several times at my local P.O., that UPS can destroy a cannon ball or lose an aircraft carrier. I worked some security for them several years ago, at a hub where they sort air freight onto the trucks. Unbelievably rough handling. All the trailers were ankle deep in loose stuff from ruptured boxes.

No wonder I've gotten UPS packages that looked like they were dragged behind the truck. If I have any choice, I take post office shipping, especially Priority Mail. Never had so much as a dirty box that way. I pass up businesses that are UPS only, if anyone else has the item with postal ship.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

ronn

Re: Midway CS-Excellent

Post by ronn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

I rate MidwayUSA, Dillon, and RCBS as offering some of the finest
CS in the industry. Up there with them is Cabellas and S&W.
Ronn

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm

I just ordered some "bore-stores" from MW, and this is one of the few times I have been a "little" dissatisfied, but maybe I shouldn't blame them? I haven't received them yet, but, expect to quick as usual. The problem is, I ordered 4 different sizes, online, and only 2 of the sizes were in stock, the other 2 on backorder. They will not hold the shipment until all items are in stock and ready to ship, they claim their computer system is not set up to do such things. So the result is I will be charged "twice" for shipping because there are two shipments to complete my order (8 bucks per shipping !) Why can't a company put an order on hold til everything is in ??? Answer: too much reliance on computers. Next time, I will make sure all items are in, or buy somewhere else.
H

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:48 am

When I have had stuff back ordered from them in the past, they will ship cheapest way. Which in most cases is 1st Class mail and is cheaper than there std method. Now I have not had to do this since they started using Priority Mail shipping. So this could have changed.

Here lately I just setup the item to notify me when it's in stock. Then I will place an order if I still need the parts.

But lately I have been using Brownells for my parts because their shipping is cheaper, even though they maybe slightly higher on the parts. The bottom line is cheaper due to lower shipping cost.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Here's a recent order I made to Optics Planet, choosing not to use MidwayUSA
because of the price difference. I was amazed at how much difference there was
in such a small order, but these are the facts. Granted, MW has a lot more gun related
stuff, but whenever I have things to order from now on, I'm going to check out OP. (orders over $30 get free shipping)
These are Frankford Arsenal Loading Trays, and I ordered 2ea. of all three sizes.

OPTICS PLANET
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #6 713498 $10.90
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #2 695795 $10.90
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #3 824257 $10.90
SHIPPING---------------FREE SHIPPING-------------------------$ 0
=========================================
TOTAL --------------------------------------------------$32.70
MIDWAY USA
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #6 713498 $11.98
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #2 695795 $11.98
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #3 824257 $11.98
SHIPPING----------------------NOT FREE------------------------$ 8.56
=========================================
TOTAL---------------------------------------------------$44.50

Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 pm

optics planet does have great prices on its of stuff.... I have bought things from them before ad was happy with the price and shipping etc.

BUT, it is worth the extra $10 or so to me to buy from a company that goes out of its way to make sure the customer is happy. can;y say OP doesn't but midway definitely does that

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Optics Planet is actually a go between for a lot of businesses. You never know where something is shipping from, or who, actually. I ordered some things back in the summer, with their free ground shipping deal. Turned out one "vendor" was out, so they transferred the order somewhere else, and I ended up waiting 17 days for the items. Took several calls and emails to straighten out. On most contacts, they were really vague and unconcerned. No real apology, no discount. I will not give OP another nickel.

I think Midway gouges a bit on shipping, but is A+ otherwise.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:59 pm

I think Midway gouges a bit on shipping, but is A+ otherwise.
According to MW/cs, they only charge the shipping rate that the shipping company charges them to ship it. Beats me?
H