Gun Show Purchase Stories

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Gun show last weekend 20 miles north of Richmond. Gun show this weekend in Richmond. Seems to be a bit more shows that we need.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:22 am

These are traveling shows and it makes sense that when they're in an area they target all the venues in a region before moving on. As long as folks are buying they are going to be selling, especially with the prices of fuel today.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 am

There must be quite some demand. The Showmasters gun show at the race track had a 30-minute to get entry tickets line for about 7 hours. It was cold, windy and raining.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 am

I have seen the same thing around here. There were three different shows in my area. Two of them on the same weekend and only twelve miles apart. Folks were lined up out the door to buy tickets, some waited 20-30 minutes just to get in. People must be "Gun-Crazy" right now. It must be the only industry stimulating the economy.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:24 am

Bullseye wrote:I have seen the same thing around here. There were three different shows in my area. Two of them on the same weekend and only twelve miles apart. Folks were lined up out the door to buy tickets, some waited 20-30 minutes just to get in. People must be "Gun-Crazy" right now. It must be the only industry stimulating the economy.

R,
Bullseye
folks must still be worried that the government is going to ban guns.....or types of guns..
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Why such big crowds

Post by Coach1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 am

My observation is that the folks I see at the gun shows are typically Not newbies. Generally, they are polite, well mannered and willing to causally chat with her searchers. The industry does seem to be on a rising tide. All the shows are well attended - featuring those very long lines mentioned above - and the entrance fees alone have to make them profitable for the venues. Even so, people are looking for a deal... expecting to find deep discounts at the show. That is possible but my experience is you better have done your homework.. or the bear will get you rather than the other way around. And if you need support, the vendor is in the next state or farther away. Caveat Emptor.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

bgreenea3 wrote: folks must still be worried that the government is going to ban guns.....or types of guns..
If they ban down to my dinky .22s, I'll guess that's the end of everything.

I quit going to gun shows in my area. There are long lines at all the ones I've been to, but they were longer when the ammo shortage was worst. I don't see any reason to go unless I was looking for a specific older gun that was worth a steep price to me.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 am

I don't see any reason to go unless I was looking for a specific older gun that was worth a steep price to me.

just to wander and see all the stuff you didn't know you needed but that you really do need

do you need a better reason?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 pm

This isn't a gun, but I remember seeing 100 rds of 380 for $75 at a gun show during the shortage.

H

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:18 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
I don't see any reason to go unless I was looking for a specific older gun that was worth a steep price to me.

just to wander and see all the stuff you didn't know you needed but that you really do need

do you need a better reason?
We get six or 8 gun shows a year in Richmond. Two in March this year. I go mainly for the entertainment. And, who knows, someone may just be giving something away that I didn't know I couldn't live without.

I go to the Dixie Classic (Richmond Showplace) shows for the entertainment and there is a reloading supplier who generally has pretty good prices on bullets and powder. The show at the racetrack generally has some older stuff. An acquaintance does fund raisers to raise money for an annual disabled vet shooting afternoon and I help him with that on one day of the racetrack shows.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Things you did not know you needed

Post by Coach1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:46 am

I have been able to control myself for some gun show staples.. like the black T-shirts with the skull graphics. But I do enjoy finding a neat thing or two.. like the small clamp-on vise with padded jaws and rotation points in 3 dimensions. It was well made (who knows where?). The padded jaws are perfect for holding a pistol or whatever.. and only $20. It makes a great "third-hand" when clamped on the edge of my desk.

Although the crowds have always been well mannered.. I make a practice of moving my wallet from my right back pocket to a front pocket. Just as insurance against some pickpocket ruining my day.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Wandered by the Dixie Classic today. For that show, fewer vendors than usual. There was a new vendor with higher-end rifles. One guy had an "in box unfired" Woodsman Match Target. No price tag and he was too busy gassing with his partner to answer any questions about it. Good way to waste an hour, I guess.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ditto

Post by Coach1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 am

There was a Dixie Deer Classic show at the Raleigh fairgrounds this weekend too. But I did not attend. (Took my wife to see "King's Speech" instead. Great movie - 5 Oscars).

But I also find it strange at shows when some vendors who invest so much effort and money into being there.. ignore potential customers. Maybe they should have gone to the movies, too.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Well, if I had bought a truly unfired Woodsman Match Target, the "unfired" live would have been measured in 10's of minutes. So, probably better I didn't get more temptation.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:52 pm

My big gun show find this week was a front sight that will solve my 1911 front sight problem. $2. Such a deal.