Gun Show Purchase Stories

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Gun Show Purchase Stories

Post by Coach1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi, Greener asked me about NC gun show practices elsewhere on this forum. My idea is that this might be a good topic for the Misc subject thread. I admitted that I have not bought any guns at a show. I enjoy going.. Dixie Gun & Knife is my favorite when they come to Raleigh. I have bought ammo, holsters, knives, some tactical clothing - vests, gloves, caps.. and even some non-lethals.. stun guns and pepper spray for the wife and daughters.
So, what about y'all?

Do you buy guns at guns shoes?
What criteria do you use for a purchase?
Long guns? Pistols?
Do you think you got a good deal and weapon?
Have a war story to share?
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't typically buy used firearms at gun shows unless there's a really good deal to be had. I did buy one a few years back, it was a KMK-T514 Ruger Mark II. The price was only $200 and I didn't even dicker with the seller. Once I got it home and thoroughly went through it I realized what a good deal I really got. It was filthy inside but appeared to have had relatively little use, maybe it was never cleaned by the original owner. It is now one of my personal favorites.

R,
Bullseye

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:14 pm

I just starting going to gun shows here recently. They are a ton of fun and I have to admit (my buddy taught me the ropes) to being somewhat of a vulture. I bought a 10/22 from a man as we both were walking in. I sold it for $85 profit about 90 minutes later. My buddy, on the other hand, was offered (and bought) a beautiful Colt single-action .22 LNIB from back in the day and flipped it for $200 in about 20 minutes. He made great money, but is still kicking himself some because that's his addiction--single action .22 revolvers.

Face to face sales are legal with no paperwork from individuals. Both of us have also made several purchases from the vendors themselves--if the deal is right.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm

I go to gun shows for entertainment and to get a survey of what's out there. Richmond has two recurring shows. One (Dixie Gun & Knife) has better reloading materials. The other (Showmasters) has better collectables. Most of my reloading supplies come from the gun shows. I buy firearms if I find them interesting and the price looks good. I've bought some firearms at gun shows and some from the LGS. Price and model is the main factor.

Major oops: I bought a P22 for $250 (new) and turned down a stainless Single Six next to it for the same price because I had a single six.

The last gun show I worked an NRA table. It was rainy and cold. There was a 30-minute line to buy entry tickets for 7 hours. Wish I knew what they were giving away.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Some of the best deals I have ever got have been at gun shows. I haven't been to one in several years though. You have to know what you want and do your homework or it can be a costly adventure. :)

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 pm

I go frequently, but haven't bought a firearm at a show in at least a decade. I would buy a gun at a show, if it were a good deal and something I really wanted. Come to think of it, I almost bought a Marlin Lever in 41 mag a few months ago, but the guy could not do a transaction with plastic and I didn't have that much cash or a check book. It was a good deal. Maybe next time.lol

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 am

I usually go to gun shows to see what's out there and have a chance to handle something that I've read about or never seen in person. I've found some good deals of stuff, and a lot of junk.

My brother in law is a better deal finder than Greener though..... I was with him once and got a Luger at a super cheap price, nice shooting gun not a collector by any means, then he found that .30 Luger ammo is a tad hard to find and expensive! (he got a bag of .30 Luger brass for xmas from me that year)
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:51 pm

My local gun shows are a waste of time, unless someone is on the prowl for some particular old gun at any price. The guns and ammo are overpriced, except for a local dealer whose actual shop is only 15 minute's drive.

One thing I can't figure is, they never have any leather. One guy from a neighbor state who sells handmade cowboy leather, not the best, and that's it. Most of the nylon gear is the off-brand junk that only fits anything because it uses a mile of velcro.

Since I got back into shooting, late '08, I've been to five gun shows. Total purchases? A handful of bore brushes at a buck apiece, and two five dollar gun rugs. Barely worth the admission. I've passed up the last few shows.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Gun Shows and .. what you get

Post by Coach1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 pm

I do the Dixie show each time it is in Raleigh. It has a really good mix of firearms vendors, ammo vendors, leather goods (bought a handcrafted paddle holster for my SA XDM 9mm - a married couple with their own shop in NC), etc. The holster is now my favorite The price was great.. especially given the leather quality and craftsmanship. I go with my son in law and we have a list of pistols we want to check out. We always have a good time and then get a burger and beer for lunch. There are usually 2 AirSoft vendors at the show. I picked up a CO2 M&P to practice with. The weight is very close to the real pistol and fits my holster for draw and fire practice. It is non-blowback.. but still a lot of fun. Makes at-home practice sessions more enjoyable although my wife objects to the pellets that escape my trap target and end up in the vacuum cleaner.

The most tempting gun purchase was a used Henry lever-action in .22. But, I could not tell if the price was right .. not enough knowledge as yet. But it appealed to my inner "cowboy.

The show in Raleigh this weekend is not Dixie. Field trip report TBA.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Richmond actually has a third show (SGK) that is about 20 miles from my house near Kings Dominion. Pretty good, relaxed show. Pretty good assortment of vendors.

The one thing I miss at any of the shows is the guy who was doing a lot of 1911 fixes and parts. Gus' Garands still shows up but Mr.1911 has stopped coming.

ronn

Re: Gun Show Purchase Stories

Post by ronn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Prices on cleaning supplies, targets, scopes, DVD, patches are only a fraction of what many dealers charge. Around here one cannot afford not to buy this stuff at shows. Plus many dealers come and have show specials on guns, which is a little saving-not much. If you are one to deal shows are the place to bargain/trade and swap tails.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:01 am

Where I live gun shows are usually a waste of time and money. The last one I went to I was looking for a used 10/22 and the few that I saw were priced about 30-40$ above retail for a new one. I know they could probably be talked down some, but I still don't want to pay a little less than retail on a used gun. Some times there are decent deals on ammo but thats about it.

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 am

Must be in the Midwest where I am. Last time, I saw a good price on a Swedish Mauser but I think SWMBO would have objected (and I already have one) so I walked by (very slowly). They can be a little more flexible on prices but they also tend to mark things up. I checked a couple of prices for a holster I wanted and when I went to my local range I asked them the price and it was $20 cheaper. Gotta be selective

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:49 am

99/100 wrote:Must be in the Midwest where I am. Last time, I saw a good price on a Swedish Mauser but I think SWMBO would have objected (and I already have one) so I walked by (very slowly). They can be a little more flexible on prices but they also tend to mark things up. I checked a couple of prices for a holster I wanted and when I went to my local range I asked them the price and it was $20 cheaper. Gotta be selective
You got to know what you are buying and what it is worth on the market or you could be the one Branum was talking about.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

This weekend

Post by Coach1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm

The show in Raleigh this weekend was the Capital City Gun & Knife show. They ran it in a smaller building at the Fairgrounds. Every vendor space was taken and the crowd on Saturday was pretty big. This one favored accessories - including jerky and tee shirts, long guns, ammo and knives... maybe 3 or 4 handgun vendors. It was a fairly good mix but none of the prices were such that we had to buy. I was hoping to stock up on ammo... but the local WM has better prices. My son in law and I had a good time there any way.. got to look at some .380 autos we wanted to checking out / compare. Our hands have a hard time accommodating these micro pistols. But no Kimber Super Carry Pro or S&W 1911 E series on display. One of those is probably a Christmas present to me.. from me.

Dixie is still the top show in this area IMHO.