Last night!

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Last night!

Post by cousin jack » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 am

Fired my last night of indoor pistol competition, and I had an all-time high: 87 slow fire, 92-2X timed fire, and a 95-3X rapid fire for a total of 274-5X! Yessir..... I had the night's high scratch score; I won a brick of ammo (some good, some medium, and two boxes of "ehhhhhhh......);" and I ended up in our club's top four for overall postal league average. Not national or Olympic quality, not by far, but ....mucho better than last season, mucho!

NRA pistol has been hard for this old rifle shooter. I am a happy man.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 am

Congratulations. It is good to hear you are finding success in your NRA pistol endeavors. It has been my observation over the years that primarily pistols shooters adapt more easily to rifle competition than the other way around. This is not to say that rifle shooters don't do well with pistols but they typically have to work much harder at it to achieve similar levels of performance increases.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks, Bullseye.... and it goes without saying (even if I'm gonna say it!) that you and this forum of yours were of incredible help, advice, and information when I started out in Bullseye pistol....couldn't have done it without you guys! Thanks......

(By the way, as I've said before, Bullseye Pistol is saving our club....we went from four members to thirty, and think we can drive it up to fifty next winter judging from the drop-ins we experienced toward the end of the indoor season.....)

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Way to go Jack,

Bullseye, I concur with your pistol to rifle statement. I repeat the same to some of the rifle shooters in our club. If you can master shooting a pistol with one hand, your trigger control with the rifle is so much better.

After I went pistol distinguished in 03 I tried Hi Power to try for double dist. My first year I made the state team. After that, ehh not so much. Work and family got placed in a much higher priority than shooting for the next few years. This year (knocking on wood) I'm hoping to get back into hi power again.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Good luck with your reentry into high power service rifle. The AR makes it a lot easier on the body than in my old 30cal days.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Bullseye,
You've got that right. The first time was with an M1-a. after that I used an AR, much better for the rapids but not at 600. the longer sight radius really helped there.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Shootin' good!

Post by Coach1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Well done. Jack. Obviously you have the motivation and determination to do NRA competitions well and competitively.

As for the not-so-great ammo.. as long as it all goes Bang! it is useful This from a guy who has won nothing - so-so ammo or otherwise..

Keep us posted with your next efforts. Good luck.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:14 am

It is also nice to hear that local clubs are tailoring their services toward their members. That kind of personal interest always boosts member participation. NRA Conventional Pistol is a great sport for developing the basics of pistol shooting but over the last twenty years the trend has been evolving toward more participation in action rifle and pistol style shooting. Every club I've been associated with has had their membership double and triple with the incorporation of an IDPA or USPSA affiliation. I'm not personally driven toward action shooting but I have been more involved in it lately in my quest to experience wider variety of disciplines of the shooting sports. I have to admit that there's a certain amount of enjoyment in shooting the various stages of IDPA style events. I'm not the fastest but I sure can eat the middle out of one of those big targets.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Baldy
Advanced contributor