RCBS RC Auto Prime

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

RCBS RC Auto Prime

Post by Hakaman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:36 pm

I purchase the RCBS "RC Supreme Auto Prime" for my Rockchucker Supreme single stage press. I've got to say, after using a couple times, I don't like it. Prior to obtaining this attachment, I used the RCBS hand primer, which has a few negative aspects, but generally is quick and somewhat reliable. I guess I thought this Auto Prime would make things easier. Primers turn sideways/upside down in the in the holding cup while priming, causing a destroyed primer. Primers flipping out onto the ground if your not extra careful. The spring loaded arm that holds the primer pulls the shell holder off the ram if you are not extra careful. Also, it "does not" speed up the process at all, in fact, slows it down. The primer holder also becomes "unscrewed" from it's base causing it to jam. You also have to load the primers into the loading rod one by one before you slide them into the unit. Complete waste of money, I will try to return.
Haka

http://www.cabelas.com/rcbs-rc-supreme-auto-prime.shtml

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 2660066632

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm

I have used the RCBS auto primer on a different RCBS press and it works fine once you get all of your clearances set right. What it sounds like is the primer pocket is setting too low to the feeder. When it's too far away it allows the primer to flip. The only thing you have to be care off is when raising the ram allowing the primer feeder to swing free. You want to keep it from hitting the feeder body.

You do know there is a reloading section now.......
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

What it sounds like is the primer pocket is setting too low to the feeder. When it's too far away it allows the primer to flip. The only thing you have to be care off is when raising the ram allowing the primer feeder to swing free. You want to keep it from hitting the feeder body.
The problem of the primer flipping out of place happens, not when I retrieve a primer, but when I insert the primer slide arm into the cavity of the press ram. It isn't a smooth transition, as it often flips upon hitting the back of the ram cavity, or the bottom or top of the cavity. I ruined about 5 primers out of 100 during the last attempt of priming 38 sp's, along with several falling to the floor as they flipped and came out. Again the primer cup threads work themselves loose from the primer arm and starts to jam when I am retrieving primers, as well. If I am "really" careful, I can use the device with success, but it takes a long time. I called RCBS and they said to send it to them, with a letter describing the issues, and they will exchange it for a hand primer (my choice of product) and pay any differences. I appreciate them backing their product and pleasing the customer.
Glad it works for you, and thank you for you reply,
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:40 pm

I use a Lee hand primer and my shooting buddie uses an RCBS hand primer and they both work well. I prefer the hand method, besides I can sit and watch TV and prime cases.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I use a Lee hand primer and my shooting buddie uses an RCBS hand primer and they both work well. I prefer the hand method, besides I can sit and watch TV and prime cases.
Sounds like experience talking OM, you seem to be one step ahead of the game. I thought I'd give this a try, but I don't seem to like the hassle of it. Back to the hand primer.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Hakaman wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:I use a Lee hand primer and my shooting buddie uses an RCBS hand primer and they both work well. I prefer the hand method, besides I can sit and watch TV and prime cases.
Sounds like experience talking OM, you seem to be one step ahead of the game. I thought I'd give this a try, but I don't seem to like the hassle of it. Back to the hand primer.
Haka
Some years back at work one of the young guys we had working, saw me do something and stated this " Now that was a good idea" Asked her just one question, Do you think I got this old being stupid? Thinking back to some of the thing I did when riding my dirt bike, I think thee was a lot of luck involve and someone watching over me besides.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Asked her just one question, Do you think I got this old being stupid? Thinking back to some of the thing I did when riding my dirt bike, I think thee was a lot of luck involve and someone watching over me besides.
I'll vote for your absolute brilliance!

I looked at the Rock Chucker and auto prime. I stick with my Lee Pro and leave those to you smart guys.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 am

Is OM really that smart?
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 am

Hakaman wrote:
Is OM really that smart?
Haka
That is your quest, to figure that out Haka.
Wine improves with age or turns to vinegar?
Old guys are full of wisdom and damn sneaky besides that.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:54 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Hakaman wrote:
Is OM really that smart?
Haka
I will defer to Elder Greener, because he knows you. Besides, I heard he never lies !
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Hakaman wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Hakaman wrote:Is OM really that smart?
Haka
I will defer to Elder Greener, because he knows you. Besides, I heard he never lies !
Haka
Well, almost never?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Hakaman wrote:I will defer to Elder Greener, because he knows you. Besides, I heard he never lies !
Haka
lie? never ...... he is a fisherman though, there may be an exaggeration or two on the number or size if things! fishermen are acutely unable to accurately judge such things, its in their nature really he cannot help it! :lol:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:44 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:I will defer to Elder Greener, because he knows you. Besides, I heard he never lies !
Haka
lie? never ...... he is a fisherman though, there may be an exaggeration or two on the number or size if things! fishermen are acutely unable to accurately judge such things, its in their nature really he cannot help it! :lol:
Fishermen have been known to streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch the truth, damn near to the breaking point.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:45 pm

fishermen are acutely unable to accurately judge such things, its in their nature really he cannot help it! Laughing
I don't think OM is a fisherman, so he could probably lie with the best of them.
hmmmm ???

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Hakaman wrote:
fishermen are acutely unable to accurately judge such things, its in their nature really he cannot help it! Laughing
I don't think OM is a fisherman, so he could probably lie with the best of them.
hmmmm ???
Many moons ago I used to fish a lot.