I shot my first steel shoot.

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

TH3180

I shot my first steel shoot.

Post by TH3180 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Saturday I shot my first steel shoot ever. I shot some USPSA like matches this winter indoors but that is it. Even though the high for the day was 34, the sun never came out, the wind was gusting off the lake at about 40 mph and it was really muddy. I still had a great time. There were about 30 people that showed up and shot the timed stages and 25 of us stayed for the man vs. man. I was just below middle of the pack in the timed four stages and towards the bottom for the man vs. man. I really tried to concentrate on hitting the target and not my time. I know better times will come with more trigger time.
If you have never shot a steel shoot, do it. There is nothing better then pulling the trigger and hearing that ping. Poppers are just fun, shooting 9mm if you don’t hit it on the upper half it won’t fall over. During the man vs. man I learned to just unload on the last popper that determines who wins. Like I said if you haven’t shot one do it you won’t regret it. The range that I shot at does a steel shoot the 3rd Saturday of every month now through October. I plan on trying to make every one of them.
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Competion high

Post by Coach1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Good for you, TH. It is good to hear that you had a lot of fun. I have not tried any shooting completions as yet. You make it sound like a great experience regardless of what the score totals and rankings are. In any case, keep sharing your experiences with the forum.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 pm

Good to see you had a good time. I shot my first Steel match about 6 months ago and haven't missed one since. Try Bowling pins too as that is a lot of fun. May try IDPA one day also.. Good luck and have fun.. :)

TH3180

Post by TH3180 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Second steel shot of the season is this Saturday. There is a 40% chance of rain, I don’t care I’m still going. I shot a USPSA intro 2 weeks ago. I had a guy give me some tips on my grip and holster draw. I have been doing a lot of dry fire practice and I made it to the range once. I am excided to see if this new grip helps me.
I’ll say it again. If you ever have the chance to shoot a steel shoot do it. I am by no means a great shot but I still had fun. I drive an hour and a half to get there, I would do it if it was 3 hours away no question.
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital