Dumb Question #1.......

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Dumb Question #1.......

Post by Gatmandu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Could someone please tell me; when a box of ammo is marked "Match"....what exactly does that mean?

I assume every cartridge in the box falls within some certain specification/s. But what :?:

Don
I know nothing.......

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Normally that means that it was loaded to a Higher Standard, tighter tolerances. The out come is more consistent ammo, but not all match ammo is equal.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Tighter tolerances mean less variations between individual rounds. Generally they are quality tested to higher specifications and pass those inspections. Ammo is manufactured by tolerances and Match ammo meets higher degrees of consistency than the regular lot ammo. An example would be CCI-SV and CCI Green Tag both are made on the same machines but the Green Tag meets higher tolerance specifications and therefore has higher manufacturing/production costs associated with it.

R,
Bullseye

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi Bullseye,

"higher degrees of consistency"..........a higher consistency of what? As I said, I know nothing and I come to the experts to learn. :D

Don
I know nothing.......

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Gatmandu wrote:Hi Bullseye,

"higher degrees of consistency"..........a higher consistency of what? As I said, I know nothing and I come to the experts to learn. :D

Don
Bullet weight, powder charge, casing dimensions (I'm sure there are more, but that's a start)

For casual shooting and even some basic competition, most "match" ammo isn't worth the cost. If you're trying to squeeze out that last half percent of potential in a gun or your skill, then the pricey stuff begins to make sense.

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 am

higher consistency = Repeatability = Precision which is really the goal.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am

For casual shooting and even some basic competition, most "match" ammo isn't worth the cost.
for any type of target, or match competition, it's hard to beat your own "proven" reloads. It is amazing the difference a couple of tenths of powder can do for the round. Cases trimmed to the same specs, same year & manf cases, OAL all the same. I would suspect these are some things that match ammo tries to stay consistent with.
Haka

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much as I thought.

Is it possible to buy "match" 22LR ammo? I've never seen that.

Don
I know nothing.......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm

CCI-Green Tag is considered match ammo, so is Eley Tenex. Some folks like Wolf Match Target, or some of the RWS/SK loads. There are actually many varieties of .22 Match ammo.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:53 pm

I can see a difference in various grades of ammo including match ammo in my 10/22 at 50 yards. Some of the match ammo will shoot much tighter groups than other match and most non-match ammo. With Wolf Match Target ammo, I can get them all in a group that looks like one big hole.

The same thing should happen with a pistol, but aiming the pistol that consistently is more difficult than doing it with a rifle. You can see some difference in match ammo and non-match ammo. Try out a variety of ammo in your Ruger. You'll find that some ammo shoots better than other ammo. Some match grade ammo won't feed in any of my Rugers because of the lubrication on the ammo, I think.

My practice if I don't shoot well is to blame the ammo and try a different one. You know, some days, all varieties of ammo are bad. :lol:

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 pm

I will venture to say that CCI sv ammo is very good for non-match ammo. It is very consistent.