Lead vs Copper Plated Lead?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:24 am

You may need to get to a harder cast bullet for your SR9. This will help cut the leading down to the hotter loads. Shooting lead over 1200 fps is just asking for trouble. Most shooter who shoot lead find that they have to adj the load to the gun. Which includes casting a harder bullet if needed.

I think it very hard to shoot out a barrel. I do believe that as a barrel heats up it can contribute to increase leading.

I don't think steel tempering is impacted till you get over 400F, Al frames in the 300+F range. But these are actually surface temp on the inside of the barrel which is hard to measure. I would think if you were getting a barrel/gun that hot it would be difficult to hold onto. Then you see those shooting to see how many rounds they can shoot in a Hour + (endurance testing) start burning their hands fairly early on even wearing gloves.

Now I do think rifles can be shot out a little easier. Since most are splitting hairs anyway, a little as 1/8" will cause them to loose a match.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am

blue68f100 wrote:You may need to get to a harder cast bullet for your SR9. This will help cut the leading down to the hotter loads. Shooting lead over 1200 fps is just asking for trouble. Most shooter who shoot lead find that they have to adj the load to the gun. Which includes casting a harder bullet if needed.
I bought some Montana Gold FMJ 115gr rounds. They shoot very well in the SR9 and M&P and shoot fairly well in my Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. That has deferred the search for harder cast lead.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:13 pm

The MG will serve you well and you can push them if you need to.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911