I come to the experts.....

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

I come to the experts.....

Post by Gatmandu » Tue May 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Fellows,

Please tell me everything I need to know about "Red Dot" scopes (sights). The advantages, the disadvantages.....your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Don

(yes...I've been using one on my MKIII, but I'm not sure it is the right thing to do.)
I know nothing.......

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm

A saver for us with aging eyes.........

I'm no expert by any means but have been using a Mueller Quick Shot for over a year now.

Dot scopes only require the use of your far vision. Which in turns make you focus down range where the dot is superimposed over your impact zone. Due to design you do not have to be align up squarely like a std scope, which allows for faster target acquisition and shooting. Since most all do not have magnification. Soon as you add magnification it's like a std scope.

There are 2 type of dot scopes, tube and reflex holographic. The holographic projects a dot on a screen that allows you to see down range. They are suppose to allow for quicker target acquisition, too. The negative is that some are hard to see in bright sun light. The tubes type are not impacted by this. Low light can be a problem with either type. Now there are some night vision dots scopes if you have deep pockets. The option to change the size of the dot allows different type of shooting. Those shooting bowling pins normally shoot with a 5moa dot. Smaller the dot more precision you get for bullseye shooting.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Red dot sights are pretty much standard in bullseye shooting. There are some people that still use iron sights, but the large majority use dots. Not that there is anything wrong with using irons, but most people perform better with a dot. I use a 25mm Ultradot, which is a very popular scope among bullseye shooters. With a dot you don't have to worry about sight alinement or focusing on the front sight. Also with a dot it is much easier to establish what mistakes you might be making right before the shot is made. You can see the dot move as you are shooting, allowing yourself to really see what is going on.If you have been using a dot already, I would stick with it unless you really want to learn to shoot iron sights.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 am

When using dot scope always focus on the target not the dot. If you focus on the dot you will have a lot of movement and get eye strain.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks Guys.....that pretty much what I thought or have experienced. I have a Millett, SP-Series red dot scope on my MKIII. I bought it because it seemed to be more compact than others I looked at. I think it has really helped me with my shooting.

Over the past year I've been trying different types of sights. I changed the sights on my Buckmark to Williams "Fire Sights". I thought the fiber optic sights would work but found out, in the relatively dim lighting at the indoor range I go to, I couldn't really see them much better than the original open sights.

I like the Red Dot. :D

Don
I know nothing.......

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:39 am

I have a question along these lines. I use a 1" Ultra dot on my Ruger, my leagues are over now so I took off the dot to pratice with open sights. The gun balances much nicer now that I took off the U/D. So my question is what are your thoughts on a Ultra dot L/T. I know zeroing in is a pain but once done I wouldn't have to adjust anything. I would only use it for indoors at 50'.
Mark II

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 am

I have the Mueller Quick Shot which is similar to the L/T. What I have found in shooting indoor ranges is the auto adj brightness is not very good. Mine has 2 photo eyes in the front, covering one helps but still not to my liking. I run on manual setting so I can control how much brightness I need. Outside the auto adj works just fine, but have problem under low lighting. Mine shows up just fine in bright sun light. The QS has a smaller dot (3moa vs 4moa) when compared to the L/T. The QS also has a 5moa and 2 others retilces to choose from. Adj zero on the QS was pretty painless, adj like any std scope.
David

Custom Built 1911

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 pm

I've read that if you put scotch tape over the cell it helps, I don't know how much brighter it makes it. Might be worth a try.
Mark II