eye problems

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Keitht

eye problems

Post by Keitht » Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm not too sure what forum to bring this up on so I'll post it here. I've been a shooter all my life. Now I find I can't get a clear sight picture through a scope. I guess the eyes are getting old. If I adjust my eyeglasses carefully, I can find a spot that allows me to see. I'm not sure what to do. Hate to give it up after all these years. I'm not sure if an eye doctor would even consider helping. Any suggestions? Anybody else went through this?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 pm

A lot of eye doctors (Optometrist) will help you. Generally it is good to call around and find one who understands a shooter's needs. Generally in the 40 to 50 year range many folks find their near vision changes and they need bi or tri-focal lenses. What you may need is a set of special glasses that have the near vision lenses inverted for work with rifles.

R,
Bullseye

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Eye sight failing

Post by Coach1 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 pm

I have a condition called macular degeneration. It results in small blind spots in the center of my vision. So I have become skilled at using the peripheral vision and my optometrist adds a prism feature in my glasses that helps. I am sure there are options for you. I will never win sharp shooting competitions. But I am getting better and having fun. Best of luck.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Coach, My dad has that condition in his left eye. He's a southpaw so when he wants to shoot something he normally grabs the shotgun. I tried to get him to shoot right handed but he will have none of it. He turns a young 89 in Aug, so he's a little set in his ways. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:33 pm

I had much the same problem with "old age vision" and was fitted with trifocals. They helped but there were still areas that things would be out of focus unless I moved closer.
My Dr. finally fitted me with progressive lenses which are basically a prism down the middle of the lens which allows you to focus at ANY distance with the movement of the head. (I was told, that to start with, to remember to point my nose at what I wanted to see).
They may be a little more expensive but I wouldn't part with mine for any price!!!
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun May 15, 2011 6:23 pm

A good many of us have had that problem. I went to the eye Doc and had him set my range glasses like this. Right eye sees the front site real clear, the target is blurry, and so is the rear site. The left eye is set for distance. These glasses are just used for shooting at the range and they are safety glass.

When I got bi-focals I knew I was in trouble. By the time I got tri-focals I was a mess and had to do something. This not the best fix, but it has helped.

Now if I drop a shot I just blame it on my glasses.. :roll:

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Thu May 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I just close both eyes, turn around three times, and start blasting away!

Y

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Yleefox wrote:I just close both eyes, turn around three times, and start blasting away!

Y
Do you do this at public ranges? Are there still any buddies brave enough to go with you?.......... :lol:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Nope, none of my buddies will go with me anymore, but the real advantage is that I have the entire range to myself.