steel

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

steel

Post by radio » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:45 pm

This may be the wrong forum for this, but I'm looking to construct a backstop for my home range and had a question or 2 regarding steel. This will be for handguns and rimfire only. What type/thickness steel is needed for my situation? Also--how about angle? Should it be dead upright or canted towards the shooter?

I do have the space and acres here to safely shoot centerfire rifles AND, if I chose to do so, what steel, angle, etc. is required to positively stop those rounds? I live on 25 wooded acres and the closest house is about 500 yards the other direction. I will also take advantage of terrain AND bring in a dump truck load of dirt behind the steel as well.

I'm told the scrapyard a few miles away sells steel that he takes in large enough to salvage.

thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 pm

If you're using 22 rimfire ammo then your steel doesn't have to be overly thick. 1/4" would be plenty if the top of it is angled toward you at around 60°. Better if you can find some AR400 or AR500 plate steel. You could safely use almost any handgun ammo with that, just not magnum velocities.

R,
Bullseye