Fun at the Range

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Fun at the Range

Post by Coach1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:23 pm

My SIL and I went to the range Saturday. The outlook was for a chance of showers. Ha! So, while we were on the long gun range.. waiting for monsoon season to clear up a little (we were the only 2 there), the RO
brought out his personal S&W 500, 10 inch barrel, Luepold pistol scope and a pistol rest.

He offered to let us run a few rounds out to our target - 50 yards down-range, 8" Shoot NC.

What a blast - literally and figuratively! He uses it to hunt - dropped a deer with one shot last season. So, I gave it a go... 2 rounds. One printed about 5 o'clock just outside the target. The second was bullseye high and in the 9 ring, left. Needless to say, I was grinnin' so hard my face hurt. The muzzle flash and bullet shock wave punched a brief hole through the downpour. And I did not hit myself in the forehead.

So, overall, a memorable trip to the range.. despite of the rain. Don't anyone tell my wife that I have so much fun doing this stuff or she will find some yard work chore for my Saturdays. :D
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah, if it is too much fun our wives have to find a way to kill it quickly.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 am

Honey-do lists tend to appear anytime we have plans for fun, don't they?

I still remember a day years ago when a guy offered for me to shoot a cylinder full through his Redhawk. I think I got five of the six on the target, but that was my first and last experience with .44 Magnum. I think with an .500 S&W, I'd respectfully decline! I do not care much for hand held howitzers.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 pm

I would not pass the chance up to shoot a S&W 500. When I first got into handguns my neighbor had a 44mag that I shot routinely. I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine along with my Python. If the range was crowded we pulled out the big guns with hot loads. You would be surprised how quickly the range cleared. The we would shoot the light loads.

On TopShot last week they opened up by shooting the S&W 500. Some had a hard time with it other did not. It was a 1 against 1 competition. The winner went to the Blue team, looser to the Red's. Red's already down one person.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Years ago a pal of mine acquired a new 44 Mag. His Father and I went out to shoot it and as this was spring time in Alaska we were standing in a mud/snow slush when his Father was given the honor of the first shot. The pistol did a flip and buried itself in the muck :(
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:56 am

44 mag is'my so bad.. but it is stout in my 4" smith mountain gun. But definitely not unbearable. Having the right grips to take care of the recoil makes a big difference.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 pm

That's my limit, the .44 Mag. If I need more than that I'll use a rifle. :)

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Grips on big revolvers

Post by Coach1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 am

Greener 3.. Your comment about grips making a difference is on point. Two things that made an impression on me with that S&W 500. First, the "rubberized'" grip provides for a rock-solid hold on the gun but somehow provides a level of cushioning to take the edge off the felt recoil. That seemed a remarkable balance.. albeit for just 2 rounds. Second, just looking at the hand cannon, I was expecting an appropriately heavy trigger. then RO said I could dry fire the pistol in SA. the 2 live fire shots confirmed that in SA, the trigger pull was .. maybe ... 3 pounds.. with a "surprise" break to drop the hammer. Then the fun started!

Of course, the rest took a lot of stress off the wrist and forearm.
I'll not be in the market for a 500.. or a Python or a Redhawk, etc.. any time soon. But that rainy day at the range was a lot of fun.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:51 pm

44 mag is the biggest I have ever shot. Will they keep going bigger?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I believe that .50 cal is the largest bore diameter allowed (other than shotguns of course)

the wider the grips at the top of the backstrap the more controllable the gun is in recoil. the Colt SAA (Peacemaker) are a prime example of this....

.... that being said it is a whole lot of fun shooting the 44 loaded to 44special velocities.... :D

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:12 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I believe that .50 cal is the largest bore diameter allowed (other than shotguns of course)

the wider the grips at the top of the backstrap the more controllable the gun is in recoil. the Colt SAA (Peacemaker) are a prime example of this....

.... that being said it is a whole lot of fun shooting the 44 loaded to 44special velocities.... :D
Excluding muzzle loading. I think they did horse pistols in .68 caliber. Loads of fun, noise, smoke, etc.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Ok muzzle loaders and shotguns are.exempt. so I Forgot the front-stuffers.....

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

I get great pleasure shooting my 357 mags, it's great "stress relief". I also get a giggle from all the heads turning my direction when I fire my cannon.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:07 pm

50 rounds of .357 along with 150 rounds of .38 special. S&W M65, GP100 and Colt Lawman. The Lawman with the 2" barrel made the biggest boom. It was fun shooting a few rounds of loudenboomer.