Shoulda listened to the Oldman....

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Shoulda listened to the Oldman....

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 pm

I bought a brick of cci Blazer .22lr from my local toyshop the other day (BAOM's favorite plinkin' load for his 10/22)(or what I percieve as his favorite from the targets he's posted over the years). and tried it out of my 10/22, I consistantly shot 10 shot groups at 25 yards the size of a 45 bullethole..... then ran some through my Smith and wesson 422 @10 yards, another nice tight group. THeN ran some through the mkII target ANOTHER nice group (Eley Sport was better but only a a tiny bit) then it started to rain, hard.

next range trip gonna run some through the Savave and see how that likes it......

should have listened to the oldman. :oops:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:42 am

Little Greener you got to remember one thing "We did not get this old by being STUPID"
Yes other stuff works better and I use it too when I need to impress myself, but % wise it does not work that much better than the expensive stuff. Recently Dick's had a sale for $1.79/ box. I bought 76 boxes, would have bought more but that emptied the shelf. Makes a great high volume fun shooting ammo, eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:17 am

One of my favorite Duke sayings,

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:58 am

Riiiiiiiightttttt

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:20 pm

My LGS had it for $19.99 a brick..... not much pricier than Fed/Win/Remmy bulk but shoots WAAAAAAY better....

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:30 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:My LGS had it for $19.99 a brick..... not much pricier than Fed/Win/Remmy bulk but shoots WAAAAAAY better....
As we get older we get smarter, at least that is the way it is supposed to be. I have been smarter for some time now as I have been older for quite a while now/ Discovered the same thing long ago. Other advantages are no long walk through the parking lot to the door and then to the far left rear of the store and then find someone to get the ammo from behind the counter, total waste of time and effort. Pay just slightly more, park within 20 feet of the front door at the farthest, walk in to the counter or behind it and they say"Hi Lennie, how are you?", don't get that at WLLIEworld. Plus it shoots way more better.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:38 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:My LGS had it for $19.99 a brick..... not much pricier than Fed/Win/Remmy bulk but shoots WAAAAAAY better....
As we get older we get smarter, at least that is the way it is supposed to be. I have been smarter for some time now as I have been older for quite a while now/ Discovered the same thing long ago. Other advantages are no long walk through the parking lot to the door and then to the far left rear of the store and then find someone to get the ammo from behind the counter, total waste of time and effort. Pay just slightly more, park within 20 feet of the front door at the farthest, walk in to the counter or behind it and they say"Hi Lennie, how are you?", don't get that at WLLIEworld. Plus it shoots way more better.
AND you get to look at all the other stuff you never knew you needed.....(and end up buying more than you came for :D )

Wait is that just me or does everyone else here do that too?

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:49 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
AND you get to look at all the other stuff you never knew you needed.....(and end up buying more than you came for :D )

Wait is that just me or does everyone else here do that too?
That's the way it works dpr ,e tpp and has been for the 48 years he has been in business now.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:56 am

bearandoldman wrote: Pay just slightly more, park within 20 feet of the front door at the farthest, walk in to the counter or behind it and they say"Hi Lennie, how are you?", don't get that at WLLIEworld. Plus it shoots way more better.
At one near here, you walk to the far end of the store, mill around trying to catch the attention of an "associate", finally break into the attention zone of the automotive clerk who grumps all 50' to unlock the ammo cabinet and back to here counter, with a bit more grumping while you pay for the ammo. My email discussion with the store manager included "if you don't want my business, I'll be happy to help you out." Another Wallyworld nearby is friendly, cheerful, courteous and helpful (not sure if they are kind, brave, clean and reverent). :lol:

I haven't gotten as good results as you folks with Blazer. Not bad, but nothing that would make me want to buy it exclusively. .22's are picky beasts and no two seem to be the same in their likes.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:00 am

Greener, the Blazer shoots well, put some others in some guns do shoot better. Depends on how much I want to impress myself that day, Sometime you wonder if the accuracy and consistency of thee ammo is in direct proportion to cost. Accuracy is better but not directly in proportion to the ammo cost, but it sure will impress you. Greener you have been to my locals shop, nice place , eh?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

I've had a lot of problem with the bottoms of .22 Blazer cases bulging out. Flat before firing, domed after. They don't eject well from my extractor-less Bobcats, either. Federal bulk or Mini-Mags do better for me; seem to function and shoot the same in all my guns.

I rarely get the Wally World Federal anymore. Three bucks cheaper and 25 more rounds than Gander, but I can't ever be sure they have it. I'd rather make one for certain trip to Gander.

Gander's been doing this goofy deal lately where the Federal 525 round is on sale for three bucks off, $18.99, then you get four bucks more back with a mail-in rebate. Takes a month to get it.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:08 pm

bearandoldman wrote: Greener you have been to my locals shop, nice place , eh?
Great, old fashioned gun shop.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: Greener you have been to my locals shop, nice place , eh?
Great, old fashioned gun shop.
Been out there for a while too since Dick and IO were younger men and Dougie his son was a baby, I think 48 years ago. He was in another smaller building when he first started and built the one about 30 years ago. Basically he is a GUNSMITH and the retail end is just a side line. They do the gunsmith work for a lot of nearby gun shops and some other larger Michigan ones also.