Retired Vet Shot At Gun Range

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:14 am

This guy was following a regular routine and was clearly reconnoitered by the perpetrator(s). This could have been a group involved activity (possibly lookouts) to gain weapons for a street gang. I'm sure the victim was chosen mainly because his routine presented the greatest opportunity for minimal exposure/risk for the robber; this was an ambush attack.

I recall many years back folks at rural ranges being robbed of firearms because they're situational awareness was at a low state because they thought there was little or no risk of robbery since they were far away from civilization. Those two guys involved in the 1986 Miami FBI shootout robbed and killed several people at remote ranges for their firearms so they could use the weapons to rob banks.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:42 am

my rural conservation club range is pretty isolated and deserted.

I DO NOT walk around out there without a loaded gun on my hip - too much money on the table to tempt scumbags into doing something stupid. It is the only place I openly carry, and the only place I ever feel a need to have a slung rifle. There is something immensely comforting about having a GI M1 Carbine loaded with soft-point ammo hanging in African Carry style* when walking 200+ yards (total) to the backstop and back.

It is a shared outdoor range, so I don't know if the vehicles pulling up are shooters who decide to come back later or if they're potential criminals ... but there have been some mighty sketchy vehicles that pull up and pull out when I wave - and if they wanted to shoot you'd think they would go to the indoor range on the other side of the property more often.

* (http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ ... 0111-4.jpg)

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:35 am

You have to be observant at all times. Our range is gated with a coded entry required, so any vehicles are usually members, anyone on foot is a suspect sand IO have told a few to leave. I would never open carry as I would like that to be a surprise to them. Normally shoot with my friend Joe and my buds, Smith&Wesson.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:03 am

An update

Wagoner Shooting Victim Recovers As Authorities Search For Suspect

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 4:38 PM CST Updated: Nov 28, 2011 10:32 PM CST

NewsOn6.com - email

Kenneth Payne was shot at a Wagoner County gun range.

Kathy Payne woke up Thanksgiving morning and saw a note that her husband had left.

Wilson says the bullets narrowly missed Payne's vital organs. He's still in the ICU and is scheduled for more surgery.

The weapon was a rare Mitchell Black Lightning .22 magnum rifle.
WAGONER, Oklahoma -
A Wagoner veteran went through another surgery Monday, as investigators look for the person who shot him several times in the head on Thanksgiving morning.

Family members Told News On 6 that 73-year-old Kenneth Payne is trying to talk with them.

Kenneth Payne's wife says he was shot once in the leg and also through the cheek. The bullet went through his mouth out his jaw and into his shoulder.

She says he was left for dead but miraculously, he was able to call for help.

Kathy Payne woke up Thanksgiving morning and saw a note that her husband had left.

It read: "sweetheart I'm at the firing range. I'll be back in a couple of hours. I love you. Kenny."

But Kenny Payne didn't come back that morning.

"I could tell something was wrong with him because he was real weak. His voice was real low. I could hardly understand him," said Marshall Wilson, victim's cousin.

Somehow, Payne called his cousin Marshall Wilson for help. Wilson and paramedics rushed to the firing range, unsure of what might have happened.

When they arrived, Payne was severely bleeding. He'd been shot.

"They meant to kill him. They left him for dead," Wilson said.

Payne told his family that two men had shot him. They stole four guns and a gun caddy.

"He's 73-years-old. All they had to do... kind gentle man. All they had to do was ask him for the guns. He would have given them to him," Wilson said.

Payne was rushed to the hospital. His wife says they wouldn't let her see him because it was too horrifying.

"I begged with them. I was crying," said Kathy Payne. "I'm just afraid I'm going to lose him."

Wilson says the bullets narrowly missed Payne's vital organs. He's still in the ICU and is scheduled for more surgery.

"You look at him and think. This is Thanksgiving... this is not supposed to happen," Kathy Payne said.

"Angel was looking over him that morning. He's a very lucky man," Wilson said.

The OSBI released a picture of one of the stolen weapons. It's a rare Mitchell Black Lightning 22 magnum rifle.

The Sheriff's office says they do not have a suspect or vehicle description, but they are following up on leads.

If you have any information about the shooting or the robbery, call the Wagoner County Sheriff's office at 918-485-3124.

11/26/2011 Related Story: Officials Search For Weapons Stolen In Oklahoma Veteran's Shooting
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:14 pm

No way would they willingly get my guns, although under those conditions I would be more than happy to give them 5 Gold Dot 158 JHP's in my J frame at around 800 fps.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:01 pm

actually dave someone has already tried to rob me. but it didnt workout. i still shoot my guns all day everyday with no reason to fear. cuz if u fear some1 might pop up and kill u,u will live in fear everyday for the rest of ur life.
dropped on request 1/7/12