Self Defense rounds

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Self Defense rounds

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:32 pm

I have heard it said that it is not wise to load your own SD rounds due to legal
consequences. Anybody know the reason why?
Haka

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm

I don't know for sure, but I have heard it said that a prosecuting attorney could claim that you loaded 'expecially deadly' rounds, constituting premeditated intent to kill.
Just what I've heard.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:37 pm

It's my understanding during a shooting you will be put under a microscope. The thought behind it is "It may give them something to go at you". Besides the extra cost of litigation. If your using a over the counter HD ammo, someone has already done all of the testing/performance. Every state has their own laws when it comes to civil court. The same can be said if your using some calibers that have well more powder than needed.

I use my reloads to match my carry ammo on felt recoil and POI. Do I have some I could use, yes. But these are for backup. If I'm down to those, things have got real bad.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:12 am

I don't know of any civil action due directly to the ammo used.... Other than states that outlaw certain ammo types, and that would be criminal. The real argument to using factory SD ammo is reliability. It's less likely to go click than bang than reloads are.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I don't know of any civil action due directly to the ammo used.... It's less likely to go click than bang than reloads are.
And that is a highly important factor when it is your butt on the line, finishing second in that game is really rotten.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

swampshooter

Post by swampshooter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:50 pm

All the above reasons are viable. Also if you are charged the courts will not allow any ballistics tests, which may be necessary for your defense. The courts have ruled that a defendent may not manufacture any of the materials used as evidence. This would include your cartridges.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm

I heard that lawyers (liars) can say that you only made these rounds to kill, and somehow that can be used against you.
Haka

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 am

From what I've gleaned from multiple sites this is an urban legend. No one has ever been able to show one documented case that a shooter was hung out to dry for using handloads instead of factory defense loads, FOR A JUSTIFIABLE SHOOTING.

Basically, the shooting is either justified or not justified. If justified, what you used makes no difference. If not justified, you are in so much do-do that your choice of ammo is inconsequential. Either way, if you're ever involved in a self defense shooting, plan on spending 10's of thousands of dollars in defense costs and probable loss of your weapon. One of the regular posters (who is an attorney) on the Bullseye List did some research and posted his results and opinion.

In my case, I would never carry loads I didn't create myself. They are 100% dependable, accurate, never loaded to high velocity, and a soft lead 45 cal 210 gr SWC at around 800 fps will do just fine in any situation it would be needed in.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington