Too much power

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Harry explains in "magnum force". That he shoots special loads......
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 am

Saw some of the History Channel "The Sharpshooters" yesterday. Miculek was shooting a 500 with nary a problem. If he can do it, can't see why we would have any problems, right?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 am

Can we all shoot a double action S&W with a stock trigger as fast in double action as he can and can we pull double action with our pinkie finger. That mans hand and arm strength is fantastic.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 am

I saw that show. I would be leery of even shaking hands with him, in that he may crush your hand. As for speed it just take practice, practice, and more practice. Maybe some special training, like any other sport.

There is a u-tube video of Todd Jarrett setting a world record with a revolver. He can shoot it faster than an full auto gun an it's a revolver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUBlNNh ... re=related
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 am

blue68f100 wrote:I saw that show. I would be leery of even shaking hands with him, in that he may crush your hand. As for speed it just take practice, practice, and more practice. Maybe some special training, like any other sport.

There is a u-tube video of Todd Jarrett setting a world record with a revolver. He can shoot it faster than an full auto gun an it's a revolver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUBlNNh ... re=related
That was Miculek. And I'd like to make sure my health insurance covers getting into a power handshake contest with him.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Does an 8 3/8" barrel produce more recoil then a 5.5" barrel in the S&W 500's ? Is the pressure in a longer barrel present longer?
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:51 am

no the longer bbl is heavier so recoil is less... there is a big difference in the longer bbl 44mags I've shot compared to my 4" 44... (but a 4" bbl just looks /feels so good on a wheel gun...... :lol: )

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 am

bgreenea3 wrote:no the longer bbl is heavier so recoil is less... there is a big difference in the longer bbl 44mags I've shot compared to my 4" 44... (but a 4" bbl just looks /feels so good on a wheel gun...... :lol: )
Supposedly longer sight radius improves ability to aim.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:53 am

If my memory of Magnum Force is correct, I believe Harry had a 6 inch barrel. Matt Dillon always had his 7-3/4 inch barrel Peacemaker, with stag grips.
That gun brought Justice to Dodge and a lot of work for the local undertaker, he usually killed them. But when he was not in town, he always buried the bad guys himself, with the help of Chester of Festus.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I have seen people shoot the short barreled 500's as easy, if not easier, then
the 8 3/8" barrels. There is more muzzle velocity with the longer barrel then
then the short. That velocity has to come at "some" price?
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 am

Is the barrel ported like most I See?

The reason I ask a friend of mine has a 44 spl that is 2" snub barrel that's ported and it has very little recoil.

If I recall in general you will loose/gain about 75-100fps for every 1" of barrel.

You can download the charge if you reload and should be able to get it to a mild 357 load. Lightest bullet and charge. You do need to stay above about 700fps to keep from sticking a bullet in the barrel though.

Most persons who buy the 500 are looking for the biggest blast you can get with a hand gun.

Let's mark this one up as a Senior Moment.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:49 am

blue68f100 wrote:Is the barrel ported like most I See?

You can download the charge if you reload and should be able to get it to a mild 357 load. Lightest bullet and charge. You do need to stay above about 700fps to keep from sticking a bullet in the barrel though.
Got to call you wrong on that one blue. My friend and I shoot some very light loads of Trail Boss with a 148 grain LHBWC of 10 Brinell in our guns and they have never had a stuck load. He shoots a 6 inch barrel 686 and I shoot my 50th Anny /Blackhawk with a 4-3/4?, we both shoot them in our 1894 Marlin carbines and they are dead accurate at 25 yard and who knows where at 50, they may not even go that far before they hit the ground, that bullet has the same BS as a trash can. Have chronographed them at 633fps in my carbine, do not know about the revolvers, but htey have to be around 500fps?
Last edited by bearandoldman on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:07 pm

If I recall in general you will loose/gain about 75-100fps for every 1" of barrel.
If you get more fps with a longer barrel, doesn't that mean
more recoil with the same longer barrel. The S&W 500 8 3/8" ported barrel I
shot, 350g Hornady XTP, had monsterous recoil. I have not shot a 5" barrel
500, but from vids I have seen, it seems tamer?
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:02 pm

There are many that do get them stuck at the <700fps. It all gets down to how smooth the bore is and whether your shooting lead or jacketed. But it does happen below the 700 fps but mainly with jacketed. I have shot some lead in the 600fps and have not had any problems too. But I have also tried some light 38spl jacketed and I had to check to make sure they made it out the barrel.

Hackaman, recoil is such a subjective term. Kind of like the longer bull barrel MKIII, the extra nose weight helps hold the muzzel flip down.

I notice that it gets to how high the bore is to the group. I have shot some guns that there was more straight back force with little flip. Then there are those that try to split your head with the barrel they hit/jump so hard.

The Taurus 44 spl I shot, the porting worked good. But I think some calibers like the 500, not much you can do except load as light as you can.
David

Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm

The 4" 500 weighs 56oz. And the 8 3/8 weighs 72oz. Now the heavier a guni is the less felt recoil there will be. The porting helps, that's why smith doesn't make a 500 without it. The mass has more to do with the recoil than the slight upping of velocity.

You can see this in the super light j frames. The heavier steel snubbies shoot softer than the airweight aluminium ones and the ultralight scandium ones kick like a mule. And that's a 38 spl

-John Wayne