Interesting question on legality

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Interesting question on legality

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 am

Young lady that come to our house to help my wife once a week is a deer hunter besides a great help to my wife. She hunts deer effectively in a shotgun only are with of all thing a very old .410 O/U with slugs.
Now OI know lot lot of SD revolvers can fire both the .410 shot shell or the .45LC equally well. Can you do the same thing with a O?U shotgun?
Will the 45LC be more effective than the .410 slug?
Would she be legal as far a hunting laws go? She is using a shotgun, but with a pistol cartridge.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 am

I think the "Judge" type revolvers are all rifled barrels. Maybe someone else knows exactly? A smoothbore .45LC would probably keyhole really bad.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:12 pm

You can not shoot 45LC in a shotgun. The barrel is not design for rifle rounds. Pressures are all different between a very short barrel hand gun and a long barrel shotgun.

As far as laws go I have no idea what they are in your state. Some have energy requirements some have caliber restrictions.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 pm

blue68f100 wrote:You can not shoot 45LC in a shotgun. The barrel is not design for rifle rounds. Pressures are all different between a very short barrel hand gun and a long barrel shotgun.

As far as laws go I have no idea what they are in your state. Some have energy requirements some have caliber restrictions.
Deer or any other kind of hunting other than rimfire is stated as shotgun only. Did not think the pistol load would be safe in a shot=gun, myself.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Hmmmm. That would be a good question for my DNR buddy... A Taurus circuit judge long gun loaded with 45lc would be interesting for deer hunting....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 am

bearandoldman wrote:
blue68f100 wrote:You can not shoot 45LC in a shotgun. The barrel is not design for rifle rounds. Pressures are all different between a very short barrel hand gun and a long barrel shotgun.

Deer or any other kind of hunting other than rimfire is stated as shotgun only. Did not think the pistol load would be safe in a shot=gun, myself.
My knowledge is a bit dated but shotgun only used to be south of Route 10. Slugs are allowed. North of Route 10 is rifle country. Is .45 Colt the same as shooting slugs? If she is taking them with a .410, she doesn't need bigger bullets because they are all close shots. She must have a heck of a place and a big pile of deer corn or beets.

It would have to be a heck of a .410 barrel before I'd try .45 Colt.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:11 am

Greener, she hunts up in the Thumb, near Bad Axe, aka Naughty Hatchet. The Thumb as you remember is nowhere near US10 but it is a shotgun only area. Like the Little Greener mentioned, the Taurus Circuit Judge carbine, is it rifle, pistol or shotgun, depending on use and ammo? Veeery Interesting?????

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 pm

The Thumb is in the shotgun only zone
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

It's a little South of 10 outside the thumb. B Battery 4th Batallion 32d Field Artillery was in Bad Axe. Spent a number of fun filled weekends there doing my staff puke bit.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:48 pm

I believe that the Michigan shotgun only zone refers to the Ammo not the gun.

I would venture to say a single shot .4100 might even handle a .454 casul... but I wouldn't try it

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:51 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I believe that the Michigan shotgun only zone refers to the Ammo not the gun.

I would venture to say a single shot .4100 might even handle a .454 casul... but I wouldn't try it
Not while you are living in a van, under the bridge, by the river

I'd guess they assumed you would shoot shotgun shells from a shotgun. Wonder what happens with an over/under with rifle and shotgun when you are below the line?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 pm

its either a van doewn by the river or a good highway overpass..... after thursday

you can carry the rifle/shotgun o/u but only if you ONLY have shells for the shot gun. not really a big deal in the shotgun/pistol only zone most shots are under 150yds at deer and slug guns are waaaaay more accurate than they used to be.

-John Wayne

Dan in MI

Post by Dan in MI » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Zone 3 is not "shotgun only" it is legal to use handguns also. The law has changed but at one time it was written repeating handgun, straight walled cartridge, .38 cal or larger with a capacity of 5 or more rounds. I beleive it has been changed to allow single shots, but still no bottlenecks.

Regarding the 45 Colt in a .410, the heck with huntability I'm worried about the safety. Huge pressure differences (as stated above)

Had to go look. This is out of the hunting guide.
l A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber
or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be
single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity
of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Ezduzit

No,no.

Post by Ezduzit » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 pm

It's a recipe for disaster. 1. No rifling, thus diameter wrong. 2. pressure way too high. 3. chamber configuration all wrong. 410 O/U's are not real easy to find, so why not trade her shotgun for a rifle? A single shot rifle would be better than the 410, which will end up wounding lots of deer, no matter how experienced she is.
Ezduzit

bearandoldman

Re: No,no.

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 am

Ezduzit wrote:It's a recipe for disaster. 1. No rifling, thus diameter wrong. 2. pressure way too high. 3. chamber configuration all wrong. 410 O/U's are not real easy to find, so why not trade her shotgun for a rifle? A single shot rifle would be better than the 410, which will end up wounding lots of deer, no matter how experienced she is.
Area is off limits for rifle use.

Ezduzit

Oops!

Post by Ezduzit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 am

Oops, sorry 'bout that.
Ezduzit