All's Quiet on the Gun Talk Front

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

All's Quiet on the Gun Talk Front

Post by Jack D » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Gun Talk-Online Forums are sure quiet lately. Where'd everyone go?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm

out shootin'! :D

actually been busy moving :(
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm sure most folks may just have had other things take priority over their free time.

R,
Bullseye

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 pm

And, some of us read regularly, appreciate the information, but often don't have much to contribute that someone else hasn't already done.
I do appreciate all of the posts though.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:29 am

I've been wondering the same thing Jack. It seemed like everybody was just gone all of a sudden. I figure everybody is busy with the "stuff" of everyday life but I do enjoy reading all the posts on here & lately since its been kinda quite & I'm relatively new to this forum, I've been reading a lot of the old posts & there's some interesting stuff in the archives. It's funny though I'll be reading something & say somebody asks a question I'll be getting ready to post my 2 cents worth & then I'll realize it's a post from '08 or something like that. There is some interesting & useful stuff on here though & as I've said before I checked a lot of forums out & while I have registered at a couple others this forum is by far my go-to spot. Keep up the good work.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 am

We get a lot of people registering for the forum but few end up posting messages. I really don't mind all that much, this forum is here for you. Many of our members have been with this forum since it's inception in 2005, and some even before that with Mark II.org and Mark III.org. I used to post a lot more here and at other various firearms related forums but time for me has been a lot more critical over the past few years. I do get a lot of emails asking for help.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:36 am

Bullseye wrote:We get a lot of people registering for the forum but few end up posting messages. I really don't mind all that much, this forum is here for you. Many of our members have been with this forum since it's inception in 2005, and some even before that with Mark II.org and Mark III.org. I used to post a lot more here and at other various firearms related forums but time for me has been a lot more critical over the past few years. I do get a lot of emails asking for help.

R,
Bullseye
I remember those old days and forums. Remember whne Radar was the mod and he was having family problems and he asked you and I and J57ltr to be mods, totally lost contact with all except you,. Eventually the young fellow that ran the forum must have lost interest or something and just shut it down. Think I have been with you since DAY ONE?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 am

bearandoldman wrote: I remember those old days and forums. Remember whne Radar was the mod and he was having family problems and he asked you and I and J57ltr to be mods, totally lost contact with all except you,. Eventually the young fellow that ran the forum must have lost interest or something and just shut it down. Think I have been with you since DAY ONE?
BAOM,

Yes, I too remember Radar and the old gang back at MarkII.org

I sent the administrator a donation when his software got all fouled up and as soon as he upgraded, his site was bombarded with spam and denial of service attacks, so he decided to pull the plug.

While that site was very good, this site is even better ;-)
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Good to know at least a few are still reading and writing. I'm getting ready to buy a new shooting iron and reading the forums to see what others opinions were. Couldn't find much and what I did find was old. Then I noticed there weren't many new posts.

Actually, there won't be much "iron" in the new shooting iron. Plastic, aluminum and stainless. It will be a LCR .22. I guess I'm hooked on rimfires lately.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm out in the country for the summer and all I have is dial-up. Lucky to get a 28k connection so I limit my time.

My dad told me his gun rack fell off the wall several months before I got here. One end came loose and dumped the top gun on the muzzle end from about 5'. The other 2 guns stayed in the rack since it was a fairly tight fit. The gun on top happened to be the ATD that I put the new barrel on. It got clobbered, looks like a mushroom on one side. So I'm going to have to get it re-crowned so it shoots consistent again. He put the rack back up but did not do perminate fix. I'm going to have to get away from his plastic anchors and put in some metal ones. He's lucky is Win 100 was not on the rack. If it had it crown damaged it would be non-repairable since the gas tube is soldered to the barrel.

This is by far the best forum when it comes to guns.

My summer project this summer is to rebuild the shreader that had the front support fail from rust and the blades getting into it. I have finished up with the front support just need to do some sheet metal work now. The hard part has been the bolts that hold the blades on. Needing a 1" x 14tpi tap to chase 2 holes. These were so bad that it took me 2 hr using a impact wrench to get them out after soaking in Kroil for 2 days.

btw. Summer is here in TX.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm taking the week off. Been too hot do much outside so I've spent it trying to finish up some home projects. My only accomplishment was the worst job of painting walls in the hallway I've ever seen. Trying to figure out whether to blame the paint or the roller.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:40 pm

greener wrote:I'm taking the week off. Been too hot do much outside so I've spent it trying to finish up some home projects. My only accomplishment was the worst job of painting walls in the hallway I've ever seen. Trying to figure out whether to blame the paint or the roller.
My personal opinion is that the pint and roller are most likely just fine sounds like an "operator problem".
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:55 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:I'm taking the week off. Been too hot do much outside so I've spent it trying to finish up some home projects. My only accomplishment was the worst job of painting walls in the hallway I've ever seen. Trying to figure out whether to blame the paint or the roller.
My personal opinion is that the pint and roller are most likely just fine sounds like an "operator problem".
I hadn't thought about that

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:19 pm

I have been pretty busy lately, but I still come in here, and see whats new every once in a while. Not much shooting here, but I have been loading shells for the next outing, and have one rifle that just needs a few hours work to be finished.

I am a ham radio operator, and recently I have been getting my equipment ready for the hurricane season. - My stuff has to keep running after everything else is knocked out, and it takes a bit of doing to arrange for that.

I'm a new guy but I really appreciate this forum, and the nice folks that I have come to know, here.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:51 am

I've been logging in and looking, just nothing to add to, and not much new I thought anyone would care about.

I'm in the eastern heat wave, too hot to go shoot the new LCR. High nineties and feels like 110% humid.

The big erecho storm got my area, too. I kept power, but have a broken maple limb laying on my power line. Power company will not touch a house line tree problem, unfortunately.

The broken end only broke about 98%. If the other two percent would go, the limb would likely flip off the line into the yard. The limb is about the size of my arm, and seven feet long. Two-thirds of it is past the line, so maybe I'll luck out and it will fix itself.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols