Distinguished??

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Distinguished??

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:25 pm

I noticed a little discussion about the Distinguished classification in one of the other threads and I just wanted to get some info on what seems to be two different uses of the term.

It appears that there is a Distinguished title that is awarded by the Civilian Marksmanship Program for accomplishment in various competitions. I remember reading about leg matches and other related stuff. Then there is a Distinguished Expert award that is part of the NRA marksmanship programs. This award seems to be much easier to come by based upon my reading of the requirements to achieve this rating.

I was just wondering if one of you folks who are much more involved in competetive shooting than I am to comment on and contrast the two awards.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:50 pm

OK, first I typed out a real nice response but my computer crashed. So I'm resubmitting this one after I switched browsers to Mozilla's Firefox.

The NRA distinguished expert award is given for achieving an 90% or better overall score on a series of matches within a discipline, typically 10 consecutive informal matches. Competitors have the option of competing in formal NRA sanctioned events, which require two scores above the 90% cutoff to gain Dist. Expert status. A shooter is competing against him/herself to achieve the requisite qualifying percentage score. I have an NRA Distinguished Expert Award for Light Rifle. It's realatively easy to accomplish this award because there is no pressure from other competitors. Anyone can earn credit as long as their overall score is above the 90% of the total available points within the series of matches. There are some rules for type of rifle and match procedures but they are somewhat relaxed compared to the CMP event.

CMP Distinguished shooters earn a total of 30 award points over a lifetime by winning awards in competition against other non-distinguished shooters. Each competitor must adhere to a very strict set of rules governing the weapons and match procedures. Only the top 10% of all the non-distinguished competitors in any excellence in competition (EIC) match can be awarded points. A competitor can only compete in 3 EIC matches in one calendar year. There is a provision for competing in a 4th match, but that EIC match can only be shot at the National Matches in Camp Perry, Ohio. Restrictions are far tighter for qualifying and competing in EIC matches. If over a lifetime a shooter accumulates 30 EIC award points (with a least one silver or gold medal), then that competitor becomes Distinguished in that discipline. Needless to say, the EIC matches are very high pressure for a competitor, one mistake and you're out of the medal hunt.

The NRA also has a Distinguished Revolver program which is governed by rules similar to the CMP Distinguished Award.

In summary, the NRA Distinguished Expert medal is a competitor competing against himself to win an award, while the CMP Distinguished Award is a competitor competing against other shooters who are all trying to earn the few coveted EIC award medals and accrue enough award points over a lifetime to become distinguished.
Last edited by Bullseye on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:34 am

FYI: I found this...
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions.htm

scroll-down to: "Distinguished Shooter Badges"
there are 3-4 links to more information.

--NOTE: How do I specify the Image-Display Ht/Wth ??
I've used http://www.IrfanView.com/
to view my images... and knew it had some edit-tools.
I may have found out how to ReSize an image without
taking any Tylonol(tm) or Aspirin.

I'll remain content with my Merit-Badge(tm) from '63 ... :lol:
Last edited by toyfj40 on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image toyfj40

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Motivation

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:23 am

The CMP award sure looks like a difficult achievement. At my age, especially with my current leve of shooting, it is probably unrealistic. But the NRA program looks like good motivation to improve. It gives me something to work towards. The current requirements are for a 269/300 or better in a 30 shot aggregate repeated 10 times. I believe I can do that with a reasonable amount of practice. I'm pretty close now.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:07 am

DWC,

Looking at your qualification score made me go back to the NRA website and see that my memory is failing me a little, 90% is the DIstinguished Expert cutoff score. I'll go back and edit my post.

Thanks.

Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:33 am

Toy,

Sorry this bulletin board software doesn't resize displayed photos. There may be a way to scale them using code but at this time I'm not aware of it.

I usually use programs like Photoshop or MS Picture Manager to resize my photos before uploading them to the server. Then when I post the URL the photo is already sized to the style I want. The 640 x 480 size you posted fit into the forum rather well. MS Pict. Mgr. also has some preset sizes to choose from: web small, 448 x 336; email large, 314 x 235 pixels.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:44 am

http://www.odcmp.org/0905/default.asp?page=DISTRIFLEMAN

a story about "... getting to Distinguished"...
at Camp Perry. they appear to be soliciting
others to write their story...