Range trip - Accurate guns are boring (?)

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Range trip - Accurate guns are boring (?)

Post by ruger22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Range today, lucky weather of 72 and sunny!

Took both LCRs, Did four inch groups at 12 yards with the 357 like before, so maybe that's as good as I'll ever be? Got more used to the required sight picture for the 22 at twelve yards. Seems to be if I cover the bull with the blade, and have half the blade above the notch, it matches the 357. I may still decide to file it a little.

A work buddy gave me some .38 reloads he'd done. Ten wadcutters loaded light for targets (felt like .22s), and 10 +P loads under some Hornady XTP bullets. Hefty flip with the bootgrip, think I'll stick with regular .38s.... :D

The big LCR got 45 rounds, the little LCR and a Bearcat about 100 each.

The Bearcat added a little fun, shooting the spinning prairie dog at 25 yards. I can usually hit it five of six shots without trying too hard.

My Mark III is boring as ever. Took 30 shots at the prairie dog, made him dizzy 30 times. Then I put it back in the case. It's just no fun to shoot, being so good. I no longer enjoy a gun that's easy to hit with, but I know that's the whole point of shooting. Am I crazy??

If it wasn't for the uncertainty about Nobama's gun legislation, I'd probably sell it.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Accurate guns are for showing off

I was cutting heads and limbs off of zombie targets (with one of our somewhat modified mkIIIs) last range trip, and the folks a few lanes over were putting up bigger bullseye paper targets
Then I started doing the same with a Walther PP I recently acquired, and finally with a KelTec p32 (that was REALLY showing off)
I shot out both eyes of another zombie target at ~7 yards with the p32, and declared myself "done" with that target & gun combination.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:07 pm

accurate guns must be boring, that might explain the fun of the p22. of course concentrating on the fundamentals to shoot the inaccurate guns makes you shoot the good ones better.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Give your self an handicap, remove the sights and work on point shooting. I do this every time I go since I cant see the sights clearly, all blurry..... :wink:

For more challenge put up a target (5" ball or smaller) on a 3' string, after the first shot you have 10 sec to empty the mag and see how many hits. I can hit 8 out of 10 with my MKIII at 25yrds pretty consistently. But with my center fires it's a lot more challenging.

It's a good day when I shoot the BE out. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 am

I haven't been as bored as I would like lately. :lol:

When the gun gets boring, for me it's time to increase the challenge: smaller target, longer distance, etc. I also tend to spend more time on the ones I don't shoot as well than I do with the "better" shooters.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:09 am

I haven't been as bored as I would like lately.
Hmmm? that was my first thought too.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:23 am

blue68f100 wrote:For more challenge put up a target (5" ball or smaller) on a 3' string, after the first shot you have 10 sec to empty the mag and see how many hits. I can hit 8 out of 10 with my MKIII at 25yrds pretty consistently. But with my center fires it's a lot more challenging.
Find a really shot-out cardboard target backer and take out the center section.
Hang a tennis ball from the BACK of the cardboard backer, staple the string to the top, (hint, you need more staples)
Put the backer back up, the ball should be hanging in the hole.

Walk to the 10 yard line, commence slow fire on that ball.
Misses give zero feedback, hits make it swing out of view.

This is simply too much fun, I ran out of tennis balls once I got this method figured out. I ALWAYS leave the tennis balls up at the range, and they're always completely destroyed by other shooters when I get back, there were shreds in the trashcan a few times.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am

The range I use doesn't allow reactive targets. When i've shot them on bgreene's and oldman's ranges, they have been quite a bit of fun.