Late Last Night

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Late Last Night

Post by charlesb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 am

I woke up late last night in my new home in Alpine, Texas... Heading for the kitchen, I encountered my son Charles ( Mini-Me ) who said he heard a "Clop-Clop" noise outside of his window, which faces the street.

We stepped outside to investigate, and it turned out to be a herd of mule deer heading down the road, probably toward an open field on the next block.

We are located six or seven blocks in from the edge of town, next to a middle school.

This morning I walked out and found tracks along my fence. When we were first moving in, neighbors warned us to build a fence around anything that we plant... I thought that were having one on the new guy, but not at all!

I am used to whitetails... The mule deer are a lot bigger, and do not appear to be as wary.

Note that local ranchers want a couple of grand for the privilege of hunting a non-trophy buck, and an extra thousand for a really nice one.

Ah well, at least I can watch them if I am ready to stay up late, it looks like.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Put a trail cam out and get some photos! That is pretty cool. My daughter was thrilled to see a big old turkey and a few whitetail at our new house, the mulies would be way cooler.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Last night my wife woke me up to tell me about a muley buck in our front yard. She said it was just a few feet away from her out there, and she was scared that it was going to attack her.

"It was enormous!" she said.

I told her that sometimes they do attack, and that she should carry something with her when she goes outside late at night to smoke a cigarette. Then I turned over and went back to sleep.

I spotted a couple of Aoudad sheep a few weeks ago, in broad daylight down on the next block. They were slipping away into a wild area near the railroad tracks. Those things are pretty big for sheep, I wonder if they are good eating?

The hunts for the sheep are not as expensive as the deer are, and they are considered to be a pest here. I'm not sure if there is a hunting season for them or not.