Got a Fobus for my LCRs

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Got a Fobus for my LCRs

Post by ruger22 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 am

Browsed a bit at Gander Saturday, and ran across a Fobus for the SP-101. The package wasn't marked for the LCR, but I remembered it fit them from having looked at Fobus' website. It was the one I'd considered, the roto belt model.

I tried it with a LCR-22 from the showcase, liked the fit and bought it. Only one they had, and $19.99. Cheap for Gander, as it is $25 most places online. MSRP is $45.

I like the adjustable angle. You can set it up strongside, crossdraw, or small of back, with any tilt you want. Fobus also sells it with only a paddle. I can get the paddle later, Fobus has them for $9 with free shipping, or other places may be less. I doubt I'll ever want it.

It's designed tilted out for an easy draw, so it wouldn't CCW well except under a loose jacket or coat.

The retention is good. Locks in and releases easy, but you can't shake the LCR loose holding the holster upside down. The fit covers the cylinder and most of the trigger guard, and the open bottom is 1/8 inch below the muzzle.

Only photo I can find with an LCR, and it's with the paddle:

http://www.zahal.org/files/images/pr...ruger-lcr1.jpg

You can also get the same holster for belt only with no roto adjustment. It lists for $38.

I guess a plastic holster suits a half plastic revolver. A year ago I'd have said, "No way" to both.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm

The link didn't work for me. - Do you have a photo, or another link?

The holster sounds interesting.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

They must have changed the page. I found other photos that I hope last a while. It seems everyone uses a paddle holster photo, for any model of Fobus, even the Fobus website.

This shows the LCR fit in the Fobus holster with a paddle attachment:

http://www.zahal.org/products/fobus-hol ... r-lcr-ru-l

This shows the belt attachment, on a holster for a Taurus:

http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTM0MDcxMzc0 ... TER-B-eBay

The end slots are 1 3/4 ", or you run your belt behind for 2 inch fit.

There's a 2 1/2 " duty belt attachment, and they have a new Vario attachment that has a sliding adjustment for any size to 2 1/4", but it's pretty chunky.

On the Roto holsters, you can use any attachment. The holster itself is the same. You buy it with one, and get other attachments separately.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 pm

That looks like it would be comfortable. - I've been looking for a concealed carry holster for my large-frame 40 caliber auto.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:23 pm

The fobus holsters are good. The only thing I do not care for with them is that there is no tension adjustment on the holster to make the draw harder or easier. I like the uncle mikes type better but really like the blade tech brand.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:The fobus holsters are good. The only thing I do not care for with them is that there is no tension adjustment on the holster to make the draw harder or easier. I like the uncle mikes type better but really like the blade tech brand.
The newer Fobus "Evolution" series holsters do adjust. Mine does. Tension screw gets resistance from a red o-ring in the edge of the holster.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I like the rotation aspect of them, giving you the angle you desire. Nice holsters !
I have one for my Glock 34 and they are well made. For concealed carry I like
the 'in-the-pocket' holsters though, out of sight and out of mind(almost).
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Hakaman wrote:I like the rotation aspect of them, giving you the angle you desire. Nice holsters !
I have one for my Glock 34 and they are well made. For concealed carry I like
the 'in-the-pocket' holsters though, out of sight and out of mind(almost).
Haka
I didn't know Fobus made pocket holsters. I think for now, they only have IWB holsters for Glock. They have a unusual design, too. If they do an LCR, I think I'd like it.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm

I didn't know Fobus made pocket holsters
I didn't quite mean it like that. I meant for my CC gun, I like in the pocket holsters, rather than a fobus.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Gotcha. I like pocket holsters for CC, Nemesis for my LCRs. The Fobus is clunky for OWB carry, unless under a loose coat. I think I'll like it for the range, though.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I think I'll like it for the range, though.
Exactly, I use one for my self defense class at the range, works perfect. The gun snaps into place for a secure fit.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Exactly, I use one for my self defense class at the range, works perfect. The gun snaps into place for a secure fit.
wouldn't it be better to practice at the range with what you would carry and how you would carry it? otherwise you would be practicing a skill you are not going to use. why practice the muscle memory of drawing from a OWB holster when you pocket carry or IWB carry? in IWB you are going to have to lift or sweep back you shirt/coat/parka etc to get to your pistol to shoot. pocket carry you'll have to reach deep into your pants pocket. Both are different than the typical "4 step draw" you'll use with your belt holster....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:
wouldn't it be better to practice at the range with what you would carry and how you would carry it? otherwise you would be practicing a skill you are not going to use. why practice the muscle memory of drawing from a OWB holster when you pocket carry or IWB carry? in IWB you are going to have to lift or sweep back you shirt/coat/parka etc to get to your pistol to shoot. pocket carry you'll have to reach deep into your pants pocket. Both are different than the typical "4 step draw" you'll use with your belt holster....
Yes

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:
Quote:

Yes
The Greeners are ganging up on me.
Oh how I hate to admit someone else is right, but yes, I agree with your thoughts. During defensive shooting skills I use my Sig Mosquito 22lr and that's the holster I have for it. Although it would be best if I used all the same gear as you would when I carry, I use the Mosquito because of the high cost of ammo. That's not my normas CC gun anyways. Along with the Mosquito come the Fobus holster, just because that's what I have. Most of the exercises are started with the gun out of the holster for safety purposes, as they don't like the participants to draw and shoot because of the inexperience of many of the shooters. Yes, drawing from your CC holster, using your CC gun, would be the best, but many things can be learned from my Mosquito/fobus when used in this training. Also, I CC my Kahr in a pocket holster as my normal CC gun, and that would not work to well for this game. I realize the Kahr in a pocket holster is not a quick draw, but that's what I use.
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

My normal carry is my Smith 442 or my SA Micro in a hip pocket holster,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.