Compact Rifle Scope?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Compact Rifle Scope?

Post by charlesb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:15 am

I'm looking for a compact rifle-scope for my Browning BLR '81.

It has a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm scope on it right now that was good for breaking the gun in and seeing what it would do, but looks too big on the gun to me. I keep thinking that a compact scope would bring out the gun's handling qualities.

I'm looking for something compact with a gloss finish, and intend to utilize Conetrol "Custum" rings and bases, also gloss finished to match the gun.

So far, all I have found are a few Leupold compact scopes with a gloss finish:

VX-I 2-7x33
FX-II 4x33
FX-II 6x36
VX-3 1.5x5x20
VX-3 2.5-8x36
- And a couple more that are way over my price range.

Are there any other compact, gloss-finished scopes out there? I have looked around and so far have not found anything.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions concerning the models listed. The only one that I have experience with is the VX-I 2-7x33, which I once had mounted on a Winchester model 70 in .338 Magnum, with the Conetrol bases and rings. - It worked OK on that gun.

I keep thinking that the 1.5-5x20 would look best on the BLR, but have no experience with that model. Has anybody here tried one of these? I've been using 3-9's and 4-12's so long that I'm kind of scared of it.

The BLR is in .308 Winchester, and will be used for deer & pigs, most likely. - Perhaps out to 300 yards but probably closer. If I was really expecting a long shot, I'd take my old Mark X Mauser in 7mm Rem mag.
Last edited by charlesb on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am

May want to look at Pistol scopes in the 2-7x range..
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I've looked around, and the only scout-style mounts that I can find for the BLR are for the take-down version, mine is a regular old BLR '81.

Now I'm starting to seriously consider a 4 or 6 fixed-power Leupold, if not the VX-3 1.5-5 x20 variable.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:14 pm

In the end, I ordered a Leupold VX-1 2-7 x33 in Gloss, and a set of low, gloss Leupold rigs. I've had one of these scopes in the past that worked out well.

Will post a picture in this post when the scope shows up and is mounted.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:01 pm

The low Leupold rings had the scope's objective 3/8" above the barrel, so I have ordered some low Conetrol "Custum" rings, and matching bases.

Conetrol medium rings are about like most other manufacturers low rings, so I am hoping to see some improvement with the Conetrol low rings.

I asked the gentleman at Conetrol if I could exchange the low rings for medium rings if they turned out to be too low... He chuckled and told me that 100% satisfaction was their policy, and not to worry about it.

I'll hold off on the photos until I have the Conetrol rings installed.

A few decades back, I had the same type scope, a Leupold 2-7x33 mounted on a Winchester model 70 Sporter Magnum in .338 Winchester mag with Conetrol Custum rings and bases, and they worked out very well on that gun. Besides being attractive, they held up just fine to my hot and heavy .338 loads.

On another note, my research on the inner workings of the BLR are coming along fine, and I am already outlining where I will be doing what, in order to bring the trigger pull down safely to somewhere around three pounds. Currently it is five pounds, but breaks clean and feels good.

I am impressed with the way the gun handles, and have found it easier than any other lever-gun to work the action from the shoulder for a quick follow-up shot. The sight picture still goes away, but it comes right back.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Here's the BLR with the Leupold VX1 2-7x33 and contetrol custum rings and mounts.

Click a picture to see it bigger.

It's fun to shoot, but I still need to work on that trigger.