CC class

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

CC class

Post by charlesb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I went to a CC class today. There were seven women and three men, including yours truly.

It was so windy at the range that the targets kept tearing. Two of them blew away before anybody could catch them... They're probably in Dallas by now.

I always shoot rapid fire, on the theory that consistency counts. There was also target longevity to consider, they weren't lasting very long in the wind blast.

This was my first experience with shooting at a paper target at spitting distance. It was kind of fun.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:58 am

Most firearms encounters happen at 3 yards or less. It is good to get an idea of how close a distance that really is. If you don't deliver effective fire, quickly, your attacker is upon you in an instant and will make successfully defending yourself much more difficult.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 am

If I recall 95% of the shootings happen 3 yrds or less. That is why they start you off at such a close distance. To see if you can actually point a gun and shoot. I have a renewal coming up in a couple of months. I assume you passed with out any problems.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:20 am

Of course, If you can successfully hit the moving target blowing across the ground, then you've passed the "running attacker" portion of the CC test, :D

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 am

My CPL is expiring later this summer, I hope it's not much of a hassle to renew.
For my county, here's the requirements: (note: I don't like the acronym CCW which means carry concealed weapon, whereas CPL is more specific, Concealed Pistol License.)

ATTENTION CCW RENEWALS

A CCW license is renewed in the same manner as the original license. The Concealed Pistol License Renewal Processing Fee is $120 ($105 application fee plus $15 for photo processing). Each approved applicant will receive a high quality composite CPL License wallet card.

An application is considered a renewal if the applicant has received a concealed pistol license under compliance of the training requirements set forth in the Act after July 1, 2001.

For an individual licensed after July 1, 2001, and subsequently applying for a renewal:

A full 8-Hour Pistol safety training course is not required.

Applicant must complete at least (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course and have at least 1 hour of firing range time within 6 months of submitting your application.

This may be completed by either:

Taking a Review course (which includes firing range time) with a local National Rifle Association (NRA) Instructor or

By signing the statement on the application that you have completed
the 3 hour requirement and have had at least 1 hour firing range time.
This information will be documented on the application at time of
submitting the CCW application to the clerk’s office.
(If completing on your own, range time must be done at a shooting range.)

A renewal license issued after August 2006 to carry a concealed pistol is valid until the applicant's date of birth that falls not less than four years or more than five years after the license is issued.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

I passed the written and shooting part OK. Now I have to apply with the state, get fingerprinted, and disclose my underwear size and preference. It will cost me 140 bux to the state of Texas, plus a fee to some outfit 125 miles away in Odessa, for getting fingerprinted.

My van gets 13mpg, so the trip to Odessa will be pricey. Maybe the wind will die down and I can ride my Hardy-Ableton instead, it gets 50mpg.

The CCL is supposed to expire at the same time as my drivers license, they say, or as close to that as possible.

The wind is blowing again now, gusts up to 45mph. Sounds creepy whistling around the house. It's not supposed to die down for several days, so no shooting for me! - A good opportunity to crank the handle on the loading press, I guess, and glass bed my old Mark X Mauser.

Only a few folks advertise trigger jobs for Browning BLR's, so I intend to uncover that mystery while I'm holed up in the shop and can't go shooting, or motorcycle riding.
Last edited by charlesb on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Virginia is quite a deal compared to Texas and Michigan. $50 for the permit. No fingerprinting now. On the initial one you must show you have had an approved training or "other." Other can be a number of things including military training. So, your DD214 is good for proof as is an ID card. I used a Reserve ID card issued in 1990 (I retired in '96) and got the permit in 2005. The lady in the Clerk's office said "Well, it does say Indefinite" Pretty easy and they have to, by law, issue the card within 45 days or contact you with an explanation as to why they won't issue it.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Here in Texas, if you have a CCL, you still have to fill out a yellow sheet when you buy a gun, but they skip the background check with the ATF. Speeds things up at the gun store.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 am

In Virginia, the permit doesn't get you out of doing the NICS and state check. The permit was only good for getting you out of the one handgun/month limit when we had that.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 am

My CCL expires in late June, I'm scheduled for the renewal course in May. I was scheduled for March but moved it back due to the shingles I have keep hanging on. The cost for me is $90 which includes the finger prints, range fees and class room time. In TX your CCL will expire on your birthday. Mine happens to be 1yr before my DL is due for renewal.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 am

What ever the procedure, it's a pain in the 'you-know-what' !

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Charles has your CHL come in yet?

I completed the CHL100 renewal class this morning. So all paper work will be mailed on Tuesday.
David

Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue May 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Sorry, I've been preoccupied lately with health issues and a building project that I am having to supervise.

Nothing from the DPS yet, but I expect that it will show up soon. - It's been almost 90 days now.

I am converting my carport into a storage building, but the doctor says not to exert myself so I'm having to sit around and instruct my son. - It's a trial for both of us as I am used to just doing most things myself, and he's not used to taking detailed orders... In the past I would show him how to do things by having him watch while I do it a time or two, but that is not an option right now. I really have to take it easy.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm

I just took my Cpl refresher class to renew my soon to expire license we practiced shooting at about 12 feet in various positions.. The most difficult position was weak hand shooting. With out the help of a support hand it becomes very difficult. I need to practice this position as well. My CPL doesn't expire until the end of August but I think it takes my county that long to do their business.

greener

Post by greener » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

This is beginning to make Virginny sound like a really great place to get one. Renewal applications can be submitted by mail with a check not to exceed $50 and your new card is mailed to you in less than 45 days

No hassle, unless you live in Petersburg, where a Clerk of Court reads the law differently.

Recent legislative actions in Virginia have been designed to make this easier.

CHP's are becoming very common in almost all states. The predicted disasters didn't happen and, in fact, violence and crime with guns has decreased. Looks like more places would figure out that CHP's don't create more crime.