Senior citizens and handguns

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Up until a couple of years ago, my normal carry was an SA Micro Compact in a hip pocket holster Before that a short barrel Taurus in .44 Special, last couple of year it has been a S&&W 442.

u
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm

In a good holster a 1911 is not bad to carry, even IWB because of its thinness, although it would not be my first choice for shorts and tshirt carry.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat May 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Up until a couple of years ago, my normal carry was an SA Micro Compact in a hip pocket holster Before that a short barrel Taurus in .44 Special, last couple of year it has been a S&&W 442.
Now the 442 is right up my alley. I carry the Ruger LCR version.
bgreenea3

In a good holster a 1911 is not bad to carry, even IWB because of its thinness, although it would not be my first choice for shorts and tshirt carry.
As a LEO, I suppose I could get used to it, but for casual carry, I like the pocket guns with some Hornady Xtremme SD ammo.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Now the 442 is right up my alley. I carry the Ruger LCR version.
bgreenea3

As a LEO, I suppose I could get used to it, but for casual carry, I like the pocket guns with some Hornady Xtremme SD ammo.
In carring a full size gun, it probably helps I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs. but mostly off duty I carry the Airweight Smith 442 in the front pocket or IWB. I carry mine with old school 158gr Semi jacketed hollowpoints, from what i've seen on expansion and penetration test the 158sjhp 38 spl does great.

And as a LEO I'm used to carrying quite a bit of weight on my belt (gun, mags, cuffs, radio, baton, taser, multi tool, kitchen sink...... :shock: ) so JUST a pistol is like a vacation.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 am

I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs.
I guess folks here are going to have to stop referring to you as "little Greener". You don't by chance turn all green when you get angry do you?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 am

He is still little Greener and he will always be a punk kid'

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 05, 2013 12:04 pm

bearandoldman wrote:He is still little Greener and he will always be a punk kid'
What he said

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 05, 2013 12:07 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:He is still little Greener and he will always be a punk kid'

What he said
Straight from the horse's mouth, got to be true,

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Then comes the day that you realize you are a shade slower, a tad more brittle and a lot more a potential target. And your size doesn't help as much. That's when I got more serious about an equalizer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm

greener wrote:Then comes the day that you realize you are a shade slower, a tad more brittle and a lot more a potential target. And your size doesn't help as much. That's when I got more serious about an equalizer.
Sounds like a shotgun might help.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Hakaman wrote:
greener wrote:Then comes the day that you realize you are a shade slower, a tad more brittle and a lot more a potential target. And your size doesn't help as much. That's when I got more serious about an equalizer.
Sounds like a shotgun might help.
You might look a little conspicuous walking down the road south of 8 mile with an extended mag 12 gage pump over your shoulder but it would probably be a good safe way to go there.

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Up until a couple of years ago, my normal carry was an SA Micro Compact in a hip pocket holster Before that a short barrel Taurus in .44 Special, last couple of year it has been a S&&W 442.

u
Looked at the RIA Commander yesterday. Like it for a carry, but I've got the 442, TC738 and LC9. I may be set.

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 07, 2013 6:50 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:

What he said
Straight from the horse's mouth, got to be true,
The punk kid
The doddering senior citizen

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 07, 2013 7:42 pm

You are not quite a senior citizen yet, got some years on you. Sure fed that kid good and yourself too, but you grew in different directions, When you get older you get wiser, guess I am not old enough yet

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

bearandoldman wrote:You are not quite a senior citizen yet, got some years on you. Sure fed that kid good and yourself too, but you grew in different directions, When you get older you get wiser, guess I am not old enough yet
Decades of hard work :lol: