Rationing 22lr

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Rationing 22lr

Post by Hakaman » Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Many of the shooters at the club are self imposing rationing on themselves with 22lr ammo.
Some are completely out, and some only have a brick or two left, so they come to the
range with only a 100 rds, or so, and slow fire them. I have plenty of stock so, to my friends,
I sell them some for what I bought it for. Have you ever imagined the day would come
when shooters would be desperate for 22lr? I have heard horror stories of what some
have paid (caved in) for 22lr, like $100 for a 500 rd brick ! Although, I peeked into the
closed pro shop window and it appears that they just got a few bricks in. If so, it won't last long.
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:37 pm

I saw that Natches had the Fed Champion 550 round count on sell, they wanted over $90 a box. The also had 45acp 50 count for ~ $100/box. I just shook my head saying someone would pay it. That's more than what it cost me to shoot my 9mm.

Personally I have 2 shelf's full in my safe with 22 ammo (15-20k). Most of it is Fed Auto Match and Lightning and some Champion. I started stocking up over 4 yrs ago. I haven't bought any in over a year. My local gun store has plenty of 22 ammo the last time I was there. I bought a brick of AE22 the last time I was there, which is my hunting ammo. They were only a few dollars more than the previous time.

I'm not selling any of my stock. But I have seen signs of things easing.

At the range the guys that are shooting a lot are reloaders. So they are not paying the high prices for ammo. What I have started seeing is some uncommon calibers. In such that the counter works are making sure no one are shooting tracer rounds. There was a local range that burned down due to someone shooting tracers. A new gun owner did not know what kind of ammo he had. He found a deal on line he thought.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 am

I'm down to about 3k rounds. Put off buying last fall until after the first of the year.

According to the Brownell's newsletter, the combined production of .22lr ammo is 11,000,000 rounds/day. At 4 billion rounds per year, looks like market saturation would already have occurred.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm down to only 19,250 .22LR (... :shock: ...). And 1000 .38s. But I'm still rationing. I've been shooting once this year, and I'll only go one more time unless I see things back to "normal", which I define as stacks of .22 Value Packs at Gander, like it used to be.

In this photo, the blue Value Pack at the front is half full, the others are full. I forgot and left two boxes of .38 somewhere else.

(Kinda nice that RF left my photos up so I can still link to them. IIRC, they can't get rid of them, even though they did me.)

http://rugerforum.net/pictures/showfull.php?photo=1476
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:22 pm

ummm with that much in reserve you can shoot 500 rounds a month (22lr) and be set for almsost 3 years and 3 month before you run out :shock:

50 rounds a month outh of the 38 is a year and a half.....

you have a plenty to last a while.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 pm

ruger22; Your fixed pretty good on the 22LR. You can shoot some 50-100 weekly and still not have to worry about running out any time soon.

I need to start reloading some 9mm and 45acp. I'm down to 2-3mo now at my current consumption of 400 9mm/mo and 100 45acp per month.

If you don't want to shoot up your ammo you can still dry fire practice. I use my Laserlyte snap cap for times I can't make it to the range.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 28, 2013 10:40 pm

At $50-$75/brick, you have a fortune

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:12 pm

greener wrote:At $50-$75/brick, you have a fortune
Worth more to me as is, than what I'd get in greenbacks. I haven't seen any improvement in ammo availability here. There is no way to know when "normal" will happen. Might be a month, could be never, for worst case scenario.......... :cry:

I'll treat each box like a canteen of water in the middle of the Sahara, and shoot like old times when I reach civilization.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Lately, we have been getting some 22lr and some 223 in stock. Just a small portion, but it's sometimes there. I'm getting tired of this shortage, moreso then the last time. The ranges are becoming more vacant.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Yeah, good thing we're providing small arms ammo to the Syrian resistance I'm sure that's not having any impact on domestic ammo production/availability. I saw twenty C-130's fly overhead the other night headed north all together in close formation. They were moving something because that's a lot of military cargo planes in one place in our airspace.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Bullseye wrote:Yeah, good thing we're providing small arms ammo to the Syrian resistance I'm sure that's not having any impact on domestic ammo production/availability. I saw twenty C-130's fly overhead the other night headed north all together in close formation. They were moving something because that's a lot of military cargo planes in one place in our airspace.

R,
Bullseye
Training flight?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 pm

I despise the gougers, and get some irritated at the people who pay the gouge prices. They are just feeding this seemingly endless cycle.

One thing I really hate, is that ALL my LGSs have gouged their ammo prices, only the big boxes have kept it retail. It'll be a shame to ignore those LGSs from now on.

In a way, I put myself in a bad spot having my "fun" with strictly .22. It turned out to be the worst caliber to be in need of. But, if I had a variety of calibers in my stable, I'd probably have nowhere near the .22 I've stocked, and I'd have probably mis-judged what to stash of the other calibers.

The .38 is strictly SD, and I could do okay with what I have for years.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Yep, we have plenty of spare money lying around for such a huge formation of aircraft in training. Not like we have any money issues with the sequestration going on like government workers being furloughed, cancellation of tours at the W.H., military deployments being scaled way back, or anything like that. A C-130J, which all twenty are said to have been, runs at little over $14,000 per flight hour. The mission started in Texas, went half way across the country before I saw them and they were still headed north at that time, so they weren't finished flying the "training mission". Seventeen trillion and climbing. :shock:

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 am

I despise the gougers, and get some irritated at the people who pay the gouge prices. They are just feeding this seemingly endless cycle.
I believe that's the economic principle of supply and demand. I've done my best not to contribute to the demand part of the equation. Supply is lightening up some around Richmond. I hope it lightens up more in the next couple of months, if not I'll have to rearrange my shooting habits.

I will remember those who were jacking prices exorbitantly.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:25 am

One of the biggest impacts on the general shooting public is the shortage of .22LR. Most folks shoot a lot of this type of ammunition and it being in short supply is definitely having an effect on people and their shooting habits. The shelves are still pretty bare in most of the usual supply establishments, and the Law of Supply and Demand is still ruling the overall costs. It has definitely caused some changes in my routine. Fortunately there's little shortages on pellets and arrows so I can still get in some quality shooting but for me it is just taking different forms.

R,
Bullseye