Ammo supply not making sense

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ammo supply not making sense

Post by ruger22 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Just went by Gander this morning, "truck day". They got six cases of CCI standard velocity, the only .22 today. The rest was a small assortment of the expensive SD in several calibers. The CCI was $4.99 a box, $49.99 for the whole brick. Ten cents a round. I passed. Too pricey, would shoot low in my guns anyway.

Lots of members on other forums are reporting seeing it, at the same price. Like it's the only .22 ammo CCI is making? And why should it be more than Mini-Mags? The few of those I've seen are 7-8 cents a round.

My Gander and Sportsman's Warehouse have each had a few cases of Mini-Mags a grand total of twice this entire year. Not one single box of Federal Value Pack at either store, all year. Gander has gotten Federal Champion, once. Each has had Federal American Eagle .38 once the whole year. I don't look at Wal-Mart, but I understand they aren't getting Value Packs, either. Just the Federal Auto Match, 325 rounds for $19.

Sportsman was big on CCI's Independence centerfire ammo, basically the same as Blazer Brass. Not one single box in any caliber this year. It's vanished altogether.

It doesn't make sense. The factories are supposedly running 24/7. All the sources I know are getting smaller shipments than they used to, and some kinds of ammo never show up, or very rarely. So where is all the extra production going?

I still feel like the Misadministration is involved somehow, and am beginning to think the ammo makers are focusing on the higher profit ammo to take advantage of the whole situation.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Could be like an ammo cartel, keep supply low to artificially create a shortage thereby increasing the cost per unit based on high demand. Who thought we'd never learn anything from the Arabs.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:11 pm

I just stopped at my LGS the other day and got 2 boxes of 50r ounds of CCI SV for the same price he has had it at for a year or so 3.95 plus tax or 3.50 for us old faithful customer who have dealt with him since he went into business.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:49 pm

I won't pay high prices for ammo. It helps that I reload and have a fair supply
of components, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't pay the high prices. Probably
wouldn't shoot as often. Personally, I think the shortage will continue for some
time yet, too much liberal persuasion and panicking hoarders.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Hakaman wrote:............ I think the shortage will continue for some
time yet, too much liberal persuasion and panicking hoarders.
And greedy gougers. Many are pretty well organized. I'm wondering if anything will ever stop that, short of no one buying their wares, which we've all seen may never happen. Too many shooters giving in.

The normal store supply has to get more than sufficient for everyone's needs. How long will it be for shelves to be too full for the gougers to empty??
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Fellow at work has been stopping by a WalMart and a Dicks regularly this year. He just picked up 2k rounds of Winchester .22 for $110. He now has 5600 rounds. Persistence pays, I guess.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 am

greener wrote:Fellow at work has been stopping by a WalMart and a Dicks regularly this year. He just picked up 2k rounds of Winchester .22 for $110. He now has 5600 rounds. Persistence pays, I guess.
Now he probably will not shoot it and just brag about how many rounds he has. That was a good price but I do not care for it, although for plinking with the 15/22 it would be good enough, Did you shoot your new 15/22 yet?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.