Thunderbolts at the range

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Thunderbolts at the range

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 pm

By the way, Sportsman's also got some in Thursday, same lot number as Monday's, so I bought a second box. Really pressing my luck.

Sunday at the range, I shot 300, and they all went Bang. Other problems, though. Some would not chamber in my Bearcats, but would in my LCR-22. A few would bind against the recoil shield, preventing easy cylinder rotation.

It seemed they all had a ding on the case mouth during production. When the bullet was inserted, the ding shaved some lead as it went. So the dings were covered with a small tab of bullet.

When I got home, I went through the remainder of the box, and the new 500 round box. Chambered and spun every round in a Bearcat. Ended up with 46 rounds with the lead covered ding, out of the original total. Remington did somewhat make up for it, though. One box actually had 511 rounds, the other 512.

Maim point of the range trip was trying my reduced power 18 lb Wolff Bearcat springs. Not a single FTF, so all good.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Remington, and quality 22lr ammo just don't go together. Nowadays, because of the ammo shortage, shooters take what they can get. Good luck

greener

Post by greener » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Can you easily clean the lead off the ding?

I bought a brick of T'bolts 7-8 years ago. I remember them being dusty and "dirty". My 22A didn't like t feed them and I had a few other problems. Haven't been tempted to buy them since. However, times being what they are, I suppose I could be tempted to test them again.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:01 am

greener wrote:Can you easily clean the lead off the ding?

I bought a brick of T'bolts 7-8 years ago. I remember them being dusty and "dirty". My 22A didn't like t feed them and I had a few other problems. Haven't been tempted to buy them since. However, times being what they are, I suppose I could be tempted to test them again.
I bought a bucket 1400rds of Rem Goldens with my AR22, mainly because they were available. I notice that they don't feed as well and have some semi-duds mixed through the batch. When I shoot Feds, or CCI my guns shoot smoothly. If I came across a bucket of Goldens I would buy them again based on it's so hard to get 22lr today. As far as cleaning the lead off of Charlesb's rounds, I'm a little thrifty with my money and hate to waste rounds, especially today. I would take an exacto knife and shave the lead into the garbage pail and try shooting them.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 pm

greener wrote:Can you easily clean the lead off the ding?
The lead would peel loose with the edge of a pocket knife. The remaining ding distorts the case just enough it won't chamber in the tight Bearcat holes. They will chamber in the looser LCR-22 though.

Cleaned the guns today, significantly dirtier than cleaning after Federal bulk. I also got a few slivers of lead from the bore, as is the Thunderbolt reputation, like pieces of fine lead wire. Three guns, about 100 rounds each.

Got 700 more to shoot, but I'll buy no more of them.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 pm

I see T'bolts haven't changed from being dirty.

Haka, were those the RGB's from Dicks? I may have bought a bucket of those. Will know tomorrow.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:35 am

greener wrote:I see T'bolts haven't changed from being dirty.

Haka, were those the RGB's from Dicks? I may have bought a bucket of those. Will know tomorrow.
yes, from Dicks. $63 for 1400 rds. They shoot okay, but seem to have a few more semi-duds then other brands. I'd buy them again, though, if the price is right.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 am

Hakaman wrote:
greener wrote:I see T'bolts haven't changed from being dirty.

yes, from Dicks. $63 for 1400 rds. They shoot okay, but seem to have a few more semi-duds then other brands. I'd buy them again, though, if the price is right.
I'm the proud owner of 1,400 rounds of RGB's. Wonder if I should go back and erase all the nasty things I've said about them. Now, if I could find some T'bolts for a good price... :lol:

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 am

RG's aren't bad, they are less desirable then CCI's, Feds, and maybe Winchesters, although, not that impressed with Winchesters either. But if I seen some Goldens at the store I'd buy them, based on you can't find nothing else! In fact, I did buy a bucket of them.
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 pm

I've never had any big problem with Goldens, just a higher percentage of duds and the glittery mess they make. Winchester Wildcats are the worst ammo I've shot many of. A high percentage so out of round they won't chamber in anything.

The Goldens are supposedly improved now. Wonder if the glitter is stuck on better?...... :roll:
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

ruger22 wrote:I've never had any big problem with Goldens, just a higher percentage of duds and the glittery mess they make. Winchester Wildcats are the worst ammo I've shot many of. A high percentage so out of round they won't chamber in anything.

The Goldens are supposedly improved now. Wonder if the glitter is stuck on better?......
In the past, I remember the glitter coming off the lead and getting all over the place, especially on your hands. I don't notice that at all anymore. So far, about 400 rounds in to the bucket of 1400, I've probably had about 5 semi-duds, and 2 FTFires. Not bad for bulk ammo, but I would never use it for competition or SD, just plinking.
Haka