Gun Grease

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Gun Grease

Post by charlesb » Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Besides being a shooter, I am also a ham radio operator and sometimes the two hobbies tend to overlap here.

Looking around my shop for a good gun grease for my M1A, I decided to try some "Archer Professional Lube Gel" that I had bought a while back at Radio Shack.

It's billed as a multipurpose lubricant with Teflon.

They claim: Superior Adhesion, Non-toxic, non-corrosive, won't wash off, disperse, break down or turn rancid, does not attract dirt, impervious to salt or fresh water, temperature range -65 to 650 degrees.

It worked as advertised on the M1A, it really does stay in place and does a great job. After 300 rounds, I was going to re-grease the gun but it wasn't really necessary.

It's clear, and goes where you want it with a small watercolor brush.

Later I tried it on the cocking cam on the bolt to my Savage model 16 bolt-action rifle and it did a great job there as well.

The best feature is how it stays in place so well.

Anyway, if you are looking for a really good gun grease, the Archer stuff from Radio Shack is really outstanding. I like it a lot better than Hoppes gun grease or Lubriplate.

A tube of this stuff, and a container of Mobil One synthetic motor oil is about all that is really needed for gun lubrication.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:55 am

For sliding surfaces I use Slide Glide on my 229. For rotating surfaces I use a Amsoil Syn ATF which has no odor. I like it better than motor oil because it's a non detergent oil. I also use Gun Butter on my 1911's. All are syn so they resist washing out and stay's put. I've used the Amsoil Multi Purpose grease in the past but, the #2 weight is a little on the heavy side for some applications. I know the SYN ATF has a broad operating temp range, 600F to -77F.

I've read some where that most any oil will work for most gun applications.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 pm

I've used a light machine oil. Seems to work pretty well. I have used a molybdenum sulfide dry lube. Worked well until the weather got cold.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun May 18, 2014 8:00 pm

I've used dry-lube on my Ruger MkIII Hunter and it has done a good job there.

Also on a Marlin model 60.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 20, 2014 5:35 am

I've used Lubriplate 130 multipurpose grease for years on the bolts of M-1's and M-1A's.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Lubriplate is widely recommended for the M1A, it's the standard from what I can tell.

I've used tons of it in the past as a hotrodder, when assembling engines. - It keeps everything slick until the oil pump can get some oil circulating in there.

Good stuff.