Getting Ready for Gun Show

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Getting Ready for Gun Show

Post by charlesb » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:22 pm

The annual Gun 'n Knife show is coming up here at the end of the month. - It's the only gun show here, and other shows are at least 125 miles away so this is the only one I tend to go to.

This year I'm going to offer bore-scope service at the show, maybe scope-mounting too. If this works out well, I might start going to more distant gun shows.

I don't really plan on buying anything, but you never know. Will have some firearms up for sale that I don't use much, or have gotten tired of.

The fun part will be walking around to look at all of the unusual firearms. Last year there was a pretty good selection.

Assuming I sell a few guns, I have a few projects lined up. - Have been thinking of buying a Zastava 98 Mauser in .270 Winchester, with the double-set triggers. Also am considering .222 Remington and .450 Marlin barrels for my Switch-barrel Savage model 16. Am still interested in an 1885 Winchester high-wall, but now will be working through my brother, who builds rifles for black powder cartridge rifle shooting.

Just like last year, the hot-air balloon folks will be out at the airport at the same time that I will be at the gun-show... This will be my second time to miss out on seeing the balloons.
Last edited by charlesb on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Good luck, and happy scoping!

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:30 pm

It will be interesting to see what kind of reactions I get from the bore-scope service.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Whew! - The gun show is over, I'm pooped.

There was a lot of interest in the bore-scope, but nobody coughed up twenty bucks to get their rifle scoped out. This year I was set up to send the images via email, or a drop-box link to the images to clients. Next year I will buy a dozen thumb-drives, and be ready to do it that way.

I sold everything that I put on the table, some to other vendors before the show started. Three rifles and two hand-guns. My dodge was to toss in a few boxes of ammo with each gun. I noticed later on that some of the other vendors were doing that, too.

I bought and/or traded for a 1885 Winchester in 270 WSM, with 26" barrel and Conetrol Custum mounts and rings, a Savage model 25 in .223 with a 24" heavy barrel, and a Hungarian Browning Hi-Power look-alike that is double action and has a de-cocker.

There was a brief period when I had a Rock River AR15 - but only because I got a good deal on it. The next morning it was trade-fodder for the purchase of the Savage model 25. - My plan was to shoot .223, but only one at a time and if possible, all into the same hole.

The Savage model 25 was much better-looking than I expected one of those to be, the metal finish is like a Weatherby Mk V, glassy smooth and dark blue. It is in a laminated thumb-hole stock and has a BSA scope on it, a 2-7 with side focus.

I've never owned a BSA scope before... It's OK but I think I'll get something glossy black to match the gun. Too bad Burris makes no glossy scopes, I'll probably have to fall back on Leupold for that.

The Hungarian Browning Hi-Power clone looks good, I had to squint at the markings to discover that it wasn't a Browning.

The ATF folks put my 1885 Winchester papers on "hold" so the dealer will have to ship the rifle to my local hardware store when the time runs out, or the FCC "unholds" the paperwork.

I had the FCC hold my paperwork once before, a year ago in Odessa Texas. Then there was no hold for several purchases, now here it goes again. The dealer refused extra bucks I offered for the shipping, but I will definitely have to pay some kind of fee for using the hardware store's FFL.

Have just one table reserved for next year, I kind of like being a vendor at the gun show, though hauling my stuff home after its over leaves me kind of pooped out.

Range reports on the Savage model 25 and Hi-Power clone soon.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Good deal! Working the gun shows can be taxing on your energy.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 pm

There was a gun show here over the weekend. I passed, due to prior experience with the local shows, and no green for the one in a million chance there would be an item I would have drooled over.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols