Hearing Protection?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hearing Protection?

Post by Gatmandu » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Folks,

First off, I've always received great advice here. I think my last post was concerning red dot sights and I'm pleased to say I've been very happy with my UltraDots as recommended.

Anyway just wondering what you thoughts are on the latest in ear protection? I see a lot of folks using electronic type muffs. Any recommendations of makes and models?

Thanks in advance,

Don
I know nothing.......

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Hearing Protection?

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:14 am

The last pair I bought was the Pro Ears Gold. These work great but are very expensive, $300. They have the highest DNR rating of 33 on the market. They work a little different than most since they start clamping any noise above 70b. Where most all others start at 82-84 which is too high according to OSHA. Every one that I have let use them say they are the best muffs they have every used. These have leather ear pads and are very comfortable to wear, seal better than plastic. The muff pads are replaceable which I have done at least once now. I also have a pair of custom ear plugs too. I most always double plug when shooting at my range. The only negative of the Pro Ears is the larger ear muffs can interfere with the stock. This is why I double plug, just encase. The nice thing about the Pro ears is when your out hunting. The gain and clarity on these are very good. You can hear a squirrel cutting on a nut 100 yrds away very easily.

If money was no problem I would go with the newer Weston custom Electronic ear plugs. These will give you max protection with out loosing any hearing. Very expensive since these are like hearing aids.

My custom ear plugs cost me $140 and where well worth it. The Electronic ones are >$1000.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm not sold on the electronics yet. Expensive, circuits to fail, and batteries to die. Same reason I won't use electronic optics. I overheard one guy relating how electronic muffs missed a next bench over blast and his ears rang for a week.

I use conventional Howard Leight LOF muffs. Low profile is nice for rifles, and they fold for less space in my range box. Heavy wire frame and nylon fabric headband still look new after 6 years. You can get replacement ear pads, which I did but haven't needed yet. Noise reduction is only rated 23 dB, but I'm fine with mine outdoors even with a .50 cal BP rifle next to me. I've never used them indoors. In the $20-25 range.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/leightning-l0f

The Leightning L3 muffs are rated -30 dB, but have large cups.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/leightning-l3
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:36 am

I generally use the foam ear plugs, I buy them in bulk.

On the other hand, sometimes I manage to wind up at the range without any. - This is readily addressed by bending over to pick up a couple of 9mm brass, and inserting one in each ear, with the primer end in. Strangely enough, they work about as well as the foam plugs.

There are a few headset type hearing protectors on the market now that allow normal conversation, but protect against firearm noise without resorting to electronics. I've seen them in the stores, but so far have not talked myself into trying them.

I am dubious about trusting the electronic hearing protection systems. There are parallels here with the electronic welders helmets that 'instantly' darken the glass when an arc is struck. I use these helmets sometimes, but prefer the traditional dark glass because the electronic helmet only has to fail one time in order to endanger my already less than optimum vision.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 am

There are a few headset type hearing protectors on the market now that allow normal conversation, but protect against firearm noise without resorting to electronics. I've seen them in the stores, but so far have not talked myself into trying them.
I think your referring to Sonic Valve type plugs. My custom ear plugs I mentioned above are this way. But being custom fit to your ear you get a perfect seal to your ears every time. These are very comfortable to wear. I have small ear canals and had problem getting ear plugs to stay in. The main reason I went with the custom plugs. Contact a hearing center to aquire about them.

My brother has had to wear hearing aids for nearly 6 decades now. His digital hearing aids cancel out the percussion/noise. He says he does not even hear the gun shot when he shoots. But the hearing aids he has are $$$$.

Once you damaged your hearing it's lost, and can not be reversed. So don't cheap on hearing protection.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:39 am

I buy the highest NRR I can find, usually around 30. I like the electronic muffs because it lets me hear conversations but the one's I've bought seem to have problems lasting. I'm using a pair of electronic muffs that the electronics quit working.

My short distance shooting is on a range with a metal building backside and top, which does a fine job of reflecting noise right down on the shooter. My muffs seem to knock the noise down satisfactorily, but if there are a lot of shooters I usually will put in some foam plugs. Especially when the .44/.357 crowd shows up.

One of my first additional duties as an artillery lieutenant was safety officer. On a misfire, the SO listens for the primer to fire for the next two attempts. Most of the misfires were technique related so, the gun went bang on the next pull of the lanyard. I heard enough very loud noises to give me tinnitus for the last 40 years. No fun at all. Take care of your ears.

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks for all your inputs Guys. Much appreciated.

Don
I know nothing.......