Laser sights?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Laser sights?

Post by Hakaman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:25 am

Not much action happening in these forums these days, has everybody gone?
I could probably do a search for the question I am going to ask but I thought I would ask it anyway to put a new post in the Forum. My carry gun is a Ruger LCR and I was considering putting on a laser site. I have read articles suggesting your carry gun should have laser sights in case you need them in certain situations. I think the biggest complaint people have about them, which may be true or not, is that it gives away your position. What is your opinion with regards to putting laser sights on a Ruger LCR that is used as a carry gun? If you recommend having laser sights, which brand or style would you recommend?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Laser sights?

Post by ruger22 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 pm

It is so nice to see someone post, at last. I've started a couple of threads over the past month that are collecting dust.

I've never thought much about a laser. It does give away your position, at least for however long it's lit. They add bulk and weight to your gun. You're partially depending on a battery to save your buns. I'm kind of a Luddite there, I don't even like a battery powered watch. It's difficult to inpossible to find a holster that will fit many laser equipped handguns. Not sure about LCR.

I don't own a laser, but have tried a few. It's really amazing to see someone do it the first time. People that thought they had a rock-solid grip hate seeing that little dot dance all over the target...... :shock: ....To me, that's the real value of a laser, training yourself for a better grip and trigger control. Then if you ever do have to plug a bad guy, you have more confidence in your technique saving you

FWIW, the laser equipped grips are hard, not like either of Ruger's cushion grips. A trigger guard mount laser lets you keep the better grips.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

I think if I were to get a laser for my LCR it would be the trigger guard mount not the grips. About five years ago I bought a pair of laser grips for my Beretta M9 and didn't like them at all. In order to activate the laser I had to alter my normal grip pressure to a point where it felt uncomfortable and I had difficulty aiming and pulling the trigger with the different grip pressure. One issue that I think promotes the idea of a laser on your gun is when you have to oddly reach-around concealment to a point where you can't sight in with the guns sites comma and the laser alignment might be of help in that situation. I can see the issue with bulkiness as far as putting into a holster comma but the weight is quite negligible from what I understand. I think some of the trigger guard units way about a half an ounce. Also one thing to consider at least on my behalf, is the fact that this particular gun would most likely be left inside the house on the table next to my bed and not carried in a holster. In fact I told you the wrong handgun that I would be considering a laser on, it is actually my khar PM9. Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/LaserMax-CenterF ... B00DYNK13Q
Although this model weighs 3.2 ounces.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:47 pm

I've thought about getting a laser for my carry SP101, but only for range use. I'd like to learn to keep that dot in a small area of the target. I still wouldn't want to rely on it to save my bacon, though. The big problem is justifying the cost, too high for my needs.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 am

I have laser sights (grips) on my carry gun. Yes it does/will give your position away but it may also be a good deterrent for the other guy. Mine are the grips, replaced the std grips. With these they activate when you grip the gun. I've looked at the others and did not like the bulkiness, interferes with holsters. As far as battery life Mine are going on 5 yrs and have yet to change the batteries. I do a test of the laser every time I holster the gun in the morning. They also have a switch that allows you to turn them off and on. The only time I turn mine off is when I'm practicing with it. I also practice with it on since your sight perception changes, you don't look through your fixed sights. The trigger switch for the laser in in front of the fore grip, my middle finger trips it on when I grip. For a carry gun I think it a good option.

You have to make the decision on what works for you. Mine are not bulky in any way and do not cause any handling issues.

Yes this forum has been a little slow lately, but I do check it on a regular basis.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:09 pm

if you take too long to align the sights you will be dead. point and shoot just like a shotgun if you have that experience you will shoot where you are looking
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I have decided similar to Old Man's advice and not get the laser sights. I shoot pretty accurately with the point and shoot method without aiming through the sites. Accurate enough to do the job I mean. It seems like the more fiddling around one does while in a confrontation the more vulnerable you become.
So I saved my money but found something else to spend it on, I got one of these summer carry:
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-swc/