What's your favorite .22 pistol?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Terrible thread. Gives me more itches than I can scratch.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 pm

.22 Pistol? Mark III stainless bull barrel (minus the LCI and mag safety, as discussed elsewhere on this forum).

.22 handgun in general? Single-Six 5.5 inch stainless. I know, compared to the Mark, it's got 4 less rounds; and slower to shoot, unload, and reload. But I can shoot better with it, and it's more fun, for me.

I've owned lots of handguns in the past, but these were my favorites. In recently returning to shooting, these are the only two I've bought.

stalkingbear

Post by stalkingbear » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 am

My all time favorite .22 handgun is my Ruger mk2 slabside competition target topped with a weaver 2.5x-8x, followed closely by contender with 14" match chambered barrel. Both of these handguns have accounted for a truckload of squirrels with my all time record of 117 squirrels in 1 season with a handgun. Either of these will group an honest 1/2" group from solid rest at 50 yards & hand selected match ammo.

blueridgeranger

Post by blueridgeranger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:11 pm

Hello All
My favorite(s) are the Ruger MK series. I have a MKII Competition in Stainless, a MKIII Hunter (6 7/8 inch barrel) and a MKIII 512 in stainless. these guns just shoot, and are so much fun to shoot.
However, I shot a S & W 41 last week that was more than just quite nice, and I also have my eye on a Browning Buck Mark Hunter.
Next up however, and Father's Day is coming...a MKIII Target in blue...with the cocobolo thumbrest grips...which I will order seperately
That should keep me from bothering my Child Bride until, at least, my birthday which is later in the year.
Sorry for the rambling guys...
all the best to all
blueridgeranger

NGIB

Post by NGIB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Based on my results with my new Mk III - it sure isn't a Ruger.

Very happy so far with my Sig P220 in .22 though...
We sleep safe abed at night only because rough men stand ready in the dark to do violence on our behalf - George Orwell

USAF-Retired

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Fri May 01, 2009 5:56 am

I think that I would have to say my Mark lll target model. I have had a few FTE issues but have to admit it was kind of fun fixing the issue and the pistol now shoots great. I like the availability of all the aftermarket parts that are available so that you can turn a good gun into a great gun. The information in this web site has allowed me to customize my pistol just like I want it. :D

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:03 pm

My all time favorite was a 1961 Ruger modified be James Clark Sr.
It had a 8 to 10 in bull barrel that had a milled in muzzle break.
That was the only gun I ever had that I cleaned a 25 yd slow fire target with.
It a long time gone but I would love to have it today... I would mount it in a place of honor!!!!!
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 02, 2009 8:15 am

greener wrote:Terrible thread. Gives me more itches than I can scratch.
I'm glad this old thread got resurrected. When I made this response I had a 22A and MKIII Hunter. I've been scratching itches pretty regularly since. Haven't found a hands-down favorite yet, although the MKII GC I bought used a while back may be moving to the front. Nothing particularly special about it other than the addition of the VQ sear and trigger.

Maybe my favorite is the next one that strikes my fancy.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 02, 2009 11:39 am

Smith 41! Why did I wait so long to get round to one of these masterpieces. Feed it CCI Standard Vel and it will drill single holes with zero FTF issues. A close second only because it has the mag release on the bottom is my Belgium Challenger. I never go to the range without shooting both.Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 pm

greener wrote:
greener wrote:Terrible thread. Gives me more itches than I can scratch.

Maybe my favorite is the next one that strikes my fancy.
I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT LAST STATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Ok, maybe the one after the next one.

Maybe I should get an M41 so that could be my new favorite. Kaz seems to like them.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Choosing is difficult!

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri May 08, 2009 3:00 pm

But I guess my favorite right now is my Medalist that I just got through pimping out a little bit. Got the scope on E-bay, the mount from BME and the rings at Bass Pro.

I didn't have time to play with a lot of different ammo brands, I was just shooting Fed AutoMatch cause that is what my Browning Buck Mark and Challenger II likes. I drilled the same hole at 25 feet, zeroed again at 50 feet, and then moved it to 75 ft. WOW! 2 inches high. Brought it down (top left to right on target), brought it down again and then tried to really hold it on the 1 inch bull. The guy in the lane next to me was shooting a .44 mag or something and almost knocked me off my chair a couple times. But 8 rounds made one hole.
Next time out, I will have my LH medalist target grip on it! TB :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

greener

Post by greener » Fri May 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Very nice. Good shooting.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed May 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Since my last post I got my original, but refinished medalist grip. Actually, the fellow I got it from had stripped the original finish and reduced the dimensions slightly. Feels good. And it has the shell deflector as well. But I may try a red dot on it to reduce the weight. :)
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Fri May 29, 2009 8:38 am

Can't have just one favorite - Jealousy can be a real problem in my gun safe... :shock:

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson