Question about oiling the Mark Series pistols

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

22_plinker

Question about oiling the Mark Series pistols

Post by 22_plinker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:25 pm

I've always prided myself in taking care of my pistols though I've never really had someone show me how. I've read numerous articles that warn against over oiling a semi auto pistol. So with that being said...where do most of you folks oil your Ruger Mark Series pistols? Thanks for any advice on this.

22_Plinker

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

A very light coat of oil on moving parts. I usually wipe the bolt down with a lightly oiled cloth.

Overuse of lubricant results in buildup of firing crud.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:39 pm

I use a Dewey Ultimate Oiler ( I use Hoppe's oil) to put a tiny drop on each pivot pin and spring. I put a drop on a cotton swab to wipe where the bolt contacts the receiver, and the firing pin channel. Too much oil is bad. There are several good precision oil bottles on the market, Dewey's was just the first one I saw local.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:28 am

I'm with Greener, a few drops on a clean rag and light wipe down of the moving parts.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Mine being SS I do not have to worry to much about rust. I do wipe the frame down with a oil (CLP) patch. I normally use a very small amount of syn oil on the pins and Spray the bolt and receiver with Hornady One Shot Dry Lube. Once it drys It will not attract powder residue but still provides lubrication.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:25 pm

ruger22 wrote:I use a Dewey Ultimate Oiler ( I use Hoppe's oil) to put a tiny drop on each pivot pin and spring. I put a drop on a cotton swab to wipe where the bolt contacts the receiver, and the firing pin channel. Too much oil is bad. There are several good precision oil bottles on the market, Dewey's was just the first one I saw local.
Too much oil IS bad. You gain nothing.

I have an old lab grade oiler consisting of a glass plunger with about a 22 ga hypodermic type needle on it. You can squeeze out a drop, or the heat from holding it in your hand dispenses a minute quantity of oil. Pinpoint application on all moving parts. None on sears and hammer hooks.

Ripsaw

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:48 pm

I spray all the cleaned parts with REM oil and wipe them down as I assemble. Okay?
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

Sparks134

Post by Sparks134 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:57 pm

I use a worm blower ( small plastic bottle with a hypodermic type needle on the end ) that has CLP or FP-10. You get a very small drop and pinpoint accuracy

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:32 pm

I use Kroil oil, and 3 in one oil. I usually am told I use too much by others, but that's how I like it. I always clean out he bore though so there isn't any laying around in there to cause shooting impedance.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... &src=tpMfg

Haka