MKIII Grip removal

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MKIII Grip removal

Post by cheryld » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 pm

I just purchased a new Ruger MKIII Hunter with a 5.5 bbl. I want to change the grips. I need to know if there is any issues to be aware of before I do this? Do the grips hold any parts in the grip frame that can"pop out" when I take the grips off? I have not taken my gun apart yet so I don't want to have any trouble from a simple grip removal. Also, can anyone tell me how a compensator would go on my Hunter-ie. How does it attach? Thanks Cheryl

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 pm

No Mouse trap under the grips.

The MKIII grips are different than the MKII when you go shopping.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cheryld » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks for the buying tip! Cheryl

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:03 am

If you're planning on adding an aftermarket compensator like Volquartsen offers to a bull barreled Ruger, it attaches to the barrel via the front sight screw hole. You remove the original front sight and insert a screw through a mounting hole near the rear of the compensator to attach it firmly to the barrel. To remove, simply take out the screw and wiggle the compensator off of the barrel.

R,
Bullseye

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cheryld » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks Bullseye, that's just the info I was looking for. Can you tell me about how much length a compensator adds to the barell? What are the benefits by adding one to a .22? Thanks again. Cheryl

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Well I believe the Comp. will add about a 1 1/2 inch to the lenght of the gun,as well as about 4 oz's of weight to the muzzle . The redirection upward of the gases and the 4 oz weight will help to keep the muzzle down for quicker follow up shots .............
Keith

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:22 pm

For me its kind of a toss-up as to how much the VQ compensator's gas redirection ports reduce .22 cal muzzle flip or if its just the extra weight out front of the muzzle dampening the recoil forces. The idea of a compensator is to reduce muzzle flip and therefore allow for faster on-target recovery in between shots during sustained fire events.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

I'd bet the added weight does more.

EASYACCESS

Post by EASYACCESS » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:36 pm

My MKIII Hunter 6-7/8" with compensator and wrap around Rosewood grips. Compensator installed added exactly 1-1/8" to the 6" barrel.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Pretty nice looking hunter as an introduction.

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

V-Comp

Post by cheryld » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Easyaccess. That is indeed a nice looking Hunter. How bad does the V-Comp marr the barrel and how often do you take it off to clean it? I already have the part. Just can't decide whether to put it on. My HUnter has a 5.5bbl. Thanks for any help you can give me. Cheryl

EASYACCESS

Post by EASYACCESS » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi cheryld - greener and thanks for the complements!. The V-Comp will marr the barrel just a bit on SS but is more noticeable in blued pistols, that's why I removed it and re-install it every 100 to 200 rounds but it is up to you to decide when to clean it.
I took the comp off to clean the gun and I found a ton of baked on powder on the end (tip) of the barrel as well as in the comp itself and this is what I did and recommend for SS pistol and SS VQ compensator ONLY (not blued):
Soak just the end (tip) of the barrel and the whole compensator in white vinegar for a few hours and then rinse it in a mix of water and baking soda to neutralize the mild acids of the vinegar, then rinse them again with hot water. You will notice the tip of the barrel will come out clean and like new so does the compensator. Remember to remove the Comp O-ring before dipping it in vinegar. I finished the job drying all parts and spraying and cleaning them with BreakFree CLP and running few patches throught the barrel. Remember, this proces is for SS guns only, not blued, unless you want to end up with a SS half barrel tip because the vinegar will remove the blue on the gun. :roll: I also applied a light coat of petroleum jelly on the VQ comp O-ring before installing it to avoid light scratches. This was a one time job only because now I always use Spatter Guard spray before shooting.
Anti-Spatter Guard is a aerosol spray designed to make carbons/spatters clean up fast and easy, you can spray it on the end of the barrel, front of the cylinder and inside & out of the Comp as well before each shooting session to reduces carbon buildup, it will make it easy to clean with a rag. Yo can buy a small can at any local Welding Supplies near you or online.

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

v-comp

Post by cheryld » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks for the info about the v-comp. I have the SS Hunter so I can follow your advice about cleaning it. This is a great forum, especially for Ruger newbies! Happy Holidays everyone! Cheryl :)

woody57

Post by woody57 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi easy, very nice pistol, I really like your grips. Were did you get them.
Woody

EASYACCESS

Post by EASYACCESS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:54 pm

woody57 wrote:Hi easy, very nice pistol, I really like your grips. Were did you get them.
Woody
"ALTAMONT COMPANY"

http://www.altamontco.com/products/pist ... /mark2.php