Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MKIII Barrel weight

Post by keithj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:40 am

Hey Bullseye ,
Been thinkin of toying with the idea of adding weight to the end of my barrel MKIII ....Very simialar to the euro guns or the High Standard's .I'm thinkin in the 2-4 oz range.. I would first attach the said weight with dubble back tape and shoot it for several weeks to make sure its doing what I want before have a gumsmith drill and tap anything .Any thoughts...I feel the weight will help during the rapid fire strings Or I'm I just wasteing my time....

Keith

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:13 am

I've seen it done over the years. I cannot say how much it will aid in recoil recovery. There have been several pistols like the High Standard and even the early Model 41 that had barrel weights like the European rapid fire pistols. The double sided tape would have to be strong to hold the weight, especially if you shoot a lot and the barrel heats up. I've also seen folks who've attached a weaver rail to the underside of the bull barrel and then attached weights or other accessories to the rail.

R,
Bullseye

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:29 am

well the tape would only be temp. If it works well and i'm happy with it I'll have a smith drill and tap the underside of the barrel......And yes Ive got some tape that stick ........no worrys there ......Keith

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:12 am

For added weight you could buy a new pistol with the the longer 6 7/8" length. :D

Or if you find the weight works look at the VQ comp that slips over the end of a bull barrel. It's held in place with the front sight screw and set screw.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:45 am

I thought about the VQ comp but Ive got a full lenght B-sqaure optic mount ontop of the gun ......I'll play around with my weight idea for awhile and see where that goes ....Dont really want to guy another pistol just yet so even if I did buy another gun it would have to be something different like something in a 32 S&W long allset up for bullseye shooting.....

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger barrel weight

Post by Pete D. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:21 pm

I was experimenting with barrel weights on my Ruger Mk.II Gov't last year. What I came up with was this:

It's simply a pipe fitting slightly larger than the barrel. It is not attached; it rides on two O-rings that are large enough to fit around the barrel and thin enough to allow me to "screw" the fitting over them. It does not move during firing.
To make more permanent, it'd be a simple matter to drill and tap a hole for a screw that would use the existing screw hole for the front sight.
Pete

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:22 pm

pete did the weight work? did it make any dif. in muzzle flip?

Keith

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

weight

Post by Pete D. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Did it work.....yes. I was experimenting, as I said, and had a .22 short conversion kit in the gun.
Recoil is subjective as is barrel flip - very dependent on the shooter. I'd say "yes it was effective". The movement with .22 shorts was so small that the dot (JPoint) did not leave the bull of the target.
With .22LR SV, the flip was noticeably less than without the weight. You'd have to try it yourself. It is sure cheap enough - a 3/4" union and a couple of O-rings. Maybe $2 or so. No gunsmithing. No marks on the gun.
Pete

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: weight

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Pete D. wrote:Did it work.....yes. I was experimenting, as I said, and had a .22 short conversion kit in the gun.
Recoil is subjective as is barrel flip - very dependent on the shooter. I'd say "yes it was effective". The movement with .22 shorts was so small that the dot (JPoint) did not leave the bull of the target.
With .22LR SV, the flip was noticeably less than without the weight. You'd have to try it yourself. It is sure cheap enough - a 3/4" union and a couple of O-rings. Maybe $2 or so. No gunsmithing. No marks on the gun.
Pete
Take it from an old harware man, that is not a union it is a coupling.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:14 pm

If I was looking to add a weight to the front of one of my Rugers, I'd use a hose clamp with some padding, not adhesive.

Just a thought.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

yep

Post by Pete D. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:22 pm

that is not a union it is a coupling
+1. I stand corrected.
No adhesive needed. No clamps. Just the O-rings.
Pete