Which Mark II hammer for Mark III 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

zxracer3

Which Mark II hammer for Mark III 22/45

Post by zxracer3 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 pm

I have decided to remove my magazine disconnect from my Mark III 22/45 & I discovered that I will need a Mark II hammer & bushing. I went to order these from Ruger today & was confused about which hammer I need. It appears that there are several options & I am unsure about which one to get.

Here is the link I was using for part numbers: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10576686/Ruger-Mark-Ii

So far I am ordering:
1) Bushing part # KA02505
2) Hammer: It looks like there are 2 different models with finish options aside & I'm not sure which one to get.

So which hammer would you recommend?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Welcome to the Forum. A wealth of information here.

You do not need the MKII hammer. All that is needed is the Clark MKII Bushing. The Clark MKII Bushing is over size and will have a press/interference fit to the hammer. This removes one of the rotating surfaces giving you a trigger with little to no creep.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:50 pm

If you are planning on ordering these parts from Ruger, prepare to be disappointed. As Blue said, you can use the Mark III hammer just put a Mark II bushing into it to eliminate the disconnector hook and spring. If you do not want the Clark then VQ also offers a Mark II hammer bushing.

R,
Bullseye

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I just have to add that I used the "original" mod and it took away almost all of my "complaints" about the gun. Will use the money I didn't spend on an adjustable trigger that I don't have the tools to make. Really makes a difference shooting!

zxracer3

Post by zxracer3 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Welcome to the Forum. A wealth of information here.

You do not need the MKII hammer. All that is needed is the Clark MKII Bushing. The Clark MKII Bushing is over size and will have a press/interference fit to the hammer. This removes one of the rotating surfaces giving you a trigger with little to no creep.
Thank you for the welcome & indeed this forum is very well put together. I have been lurking here for a while & have found that Bullseye has taken a lot of time to educate the less informed, for which I am grateful.

On the hammer, I was under the impression that because of the cutout for the magazine disconnect I was forced to use a mark II hammer but thanks to you I have been corrected.

If I go with the Clark bushing which model for a 22/45 should I get the Clk-515 or Clk-517 (http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22pts.htm)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 am

I used the bushing from Sam over on rimfirecentral, myself. Looking at the Clark description makes me think the pin would be the only difference, being stainless or blued to match your frame. And then I think abot how you already have a perfectly good pin. But then I think that someone has probably actually ordered from Clark, and how you shouldn't take my advice.
... if nobody here has a definitive answer, I'd suggest an EMail to Clark, and please report back here with the answer - someone will be along to search for it soon enough.

If you haven't gone through a detail strip before, use Bullseye's instructions and some common sense, and beyond that all you'll need is a big clean work surface and some trays or something to put parts on ... Oh, and maybe a floor under that surface that won't hide small dropped plungers/pins/springs/etc (if you're clumsy like me, anyway)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 am

The Mark II bushing is wider than the step cut-out in a Mark III hammer. It will sit in the original position as it would on a Mark II hammer. Here's a pic of a Mark III hammer with a factory Mark II bushing installed.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 am

zxracer3 wrote:
blue68f100 wrote: If I go with the Clark bushing which model for a 22/45 should I get the Clk-515 or Clk-517 (http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22pts.htm)
The Clark 517 is for the 22/45
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

zxracer3

Post by zxracer3 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm

bigfatdave wrote:I'd suggest an EMail to Clark, and please report back here with the answer - someone will be along to search for it soon enough.
I called them & received the same answer blue68f100 gave. The Clk 517 is for the 22/45 while the 515 is for the regular Mark's. This is because the 22/45 doesn't have a hammer pin.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 pm

That makes sense, the frame is the difference, so the pins (or lack of) would be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the post-back, if Clark's site can't be clear, at least this repository of knowledge has been improved!

zxracer3

Post by zxracer3 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:44 pm

bigfatdave wrote:That makes sense, the frame is the difference, so the pins (or lack of) would be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the post-back, if Clark's site can't be clear, at least this repository of knowledge has been improved!
No problem. I would have preferred to email them so I could have provided a direct response but their site stated that they were only equipped to answer emails that required a "yes or no" answer. The women on the phone seemed very knowledgeable though.

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I've wondered about the possibility of useing something to bond the hammer bushing to the hammer on my MKII such as Blue loctite or something similar??
Has anyone done this here before?
Just read this thread & it had me wondering if I did this if I could remove the small amount of creap from Volquarten trigger kitted MKII or if also need to order the Clark Bushing??
Maybe Paul Zint will have one at the upcoming gunshows..
Gary/Hk

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

I don't believe that using Locktite sealant will give any appreciable advantage to the hammer/bushing fit. Blue would definitely be too light of a bond. The red sealant would hold better under the stresses of the hammer. There would still be a tolerance difference in the pivot pin to bushing fit and it would still leave the perception of creep in the trigger pull.

R,
Bullseye

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 am

I wonder what type of sealant/glue etc would be best for this type of project??
I also noticed that I can feel the rough edges of the frame on the hammer bushing as it rotates in the frame..
I'm gonna open it back up & smooth that area up..
I've already stoned the back side of the safety smooth..
Thanks again Bullseye
I'll try an pick up a Clark hammer Bushing from Paul Zint
If not an order to Clark's Custom is in order I suppose..
The Volquartzen Kit should come with this part for what it cost me..
Gary

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 pm

so all it takes is a bushing? wither VQ or Clark?

i took my new MK3 out and i can't stand that mag disconnect. i have removed it from my other guns, and my old 22/45 never had it.