Holographic red dots???

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Holographic red dots???

Post by chadflys » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the halographic type dots??? I've been considering a basic ultradot for a while now, but thought I'd do some more looking and learning before I bought one. The halographic dots seem a bit more low profile and less weight. But do they have the clarity and reliability as the regular dots. Ultradot makes a couple of different models, but have not read any reviews on them.

Thanks,

Chad

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Halographic red dots???

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 am

chadflys wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the halographic type dots??? I've been considering a basic ultradot for a while now, but thought I'd do some more looking and learning before I bought one. The halographic dots seem a bit more low profile and less weight. But do they have the clarity and reliability as the regular dots. Ultradot makes a couple of different models, but have not read any reviews on them.

Thanks,

Chad
I have both and prefer the holographic for action pistol work as it is easier to acquire in point and shoot speed situation and especially when engaging multiple targets. For Bullseye I think on of the 30mm tube red dots would be better.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:52 am

Depending upon the use intended for the red dot sight pay attention to the size of the dot. Some of those sights intended for use in action pistol type shooting have a rather coarse minimum dot size. It may not be suitable for bullseye use.

DWS

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Accuracy...

Post by chadflys » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 am

It will be mounted on my MKII 512 bull.....So I take it the holographic dots are not as accurate. And most likely a 30mm ultradot is the way to go. How do the weights compare from a 30mm to the one inch dots? I want to get the best one I can, I know sometimes the most expensive is not always the best. Clarity, not parallax and a small dot I think is what I'm going for. None of the darn stores around here keep batteries in them so I can never compare........Thanks for whatever more input you can provide.
Chad

bearandoldman

Re: Accuracy...

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:01 am

chadflys wrote:It will be mounted on my MKII 512 bull.....So I take it the holographic dots are not as accurate. And most likely a 30mm ultradot is the way to go. How do the weights compare from a 30mm to the one inch dots? I want to get the best one I can, I know sometimes the most expensive is not always the best. Clarity, not parallax and a small dot I think is what I'm going for. None of the darn stores around here keep batteries in them so I can never compare........Thanks for whatever more input you can provide.
Chad
I did not say that the holographic sight was not accurate, it is, but they normally have larger dots than you would want for Bullseye target work. They are more of a point and shoot action sight rather than a stand, aim and shoot sight. You normally see a lot of them on the professional bang and clang unlimited guns.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 am

As BAOM said it is not a question of accuracy. But if the size of the dot is such that it obscures the entire bullseye at 25 yards then you will have trouble holding a consistent sight picture. For bullseye shooting a smaller dot would be preferable IMHO. For action pistol, clang and bang as BAOM calls it, you want to be able to pick up the sight picture quickly. A big bright dot is useful and you are not trying to shoot 1.5 inch groups.

DWS

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

dot size???

Post by chadflys » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 am

What dot size should I look for...it seems many I have seen start at 4. What ever that means. I'm guessing .4mm. I saw a bsa halographic here recently I liked the looks of and I think it had .4 dot, circle, crosshair, and someother shape. I think it was around $100. It was small and very light weight. I didnt want to just buy it on a whim though. I just wish I could find an ultradot 30mm or even 1in to checkout before I decide. The shops around here are very limited in their optic selection.

Thanks,

Chad

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:13 am

DancesWithSquirrels wrote:As BAOM said it is not a question of accuracy. But if the size of the dot is such that it obscures the entire bullseye at 25 yards then you will have trouble holding a consistent sight picture. For bullseye shooting a smaller dot would be preferable IMHO. For action pistol, clang and bang as BAOM calls it, you want to be able to pick up the sight picture quickly. A big bright dot is useful and you are not trying to shoot 1.5 inch groups.

DWS
DWS, how you doing my friend, 11AM and it is already 52 F here in Michigan and the sun is shining, off to the range this afternoon and maybe cure my CABIN FEVER. It's Bang and clang, got to shoot first or you get no clang. I just love that kind of shooting, seeing and hearing something happen, us old clay target shooters are that way you know. We are used to seeing the results without the use of a spotting scope. :D

bearandoldman

Re: dot size???

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:44 am

chadflys wrote:What dot size should I look for...it seems many I have seen start at 4. What ever that means. I'm guessing .4mm. I saw a bsa halographic here recently I liked the looks of and I think it had .4 dot, circle, crosshair, and someother shape. I think it was around $100. It was small and very light weight. I didnt want to just buy it on a whim though. I just wish I could find an ultradot 30mm or even 1in to checkout before I decide. The shops around here are very limited in their optic selection.

Thanks,

Chad
Chad, when they speak of dot size they are referring to MOA= minute of angle. A 4MOA dot will cover 4 inches at 100 yards, 2 inches at 50 yards and 1 inch at 25 yards. Both types of sight work well and are accurate, just choose the one that pleases you. :)

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:24 pm

BAOM,

I agree completely. I love reactive targets of any kind from clay birds to silhouettes (sp?) to steel gongs. But then I enjoy shooting at just about anything that will allow me to pull a trigger legally. I wish I was in a position to head to the range any time weather is suitable. Just a few more years.

DWS

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 pm

DancesWithSquirrels wrote:BAOM,

I agree completely. I love reactive targets of any kind from clay birds to silhouettes (sp?) to steel gongs. But then I enjoy shooting at just about anything that will allow me to pull a trigger legally. I wish I was in a position to head to the range any time weather is suitable. Just a few more years.

DWS
Good things come to he who waits, I have been waitng for a warm day for a long time now. Seems like this winter has lastred a loooooooong time.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Chad,
I have a "Matchdot" by Ultradot. It's a lot of fun. For target shooting, it works well. The dots are adjustable in size and brightness. Great quality for the price. Take a look at the photo.

Sunny, 67 deg's in southern michigan
Haka
:lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Maybe earlier in the week , but not today.