TechTeach molded 22/45 no-gunsmithing grip panels

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

henry4994

Post by henry4994 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:06 pm

I purchased a set of these grips and they definitely improved my new 22/45. They installed very easy using the screws provided from Dom. Quick service from Dom.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Yes they do a fine job on the 22/45.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:07 am

Welcome to the forum henry4994 and my regards to Wiggins MS. Camped and water skied regularly at Flint Creek back in the early 80s - Beautiful area...
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

henry4994

Post by henry4994 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like a lot of knowledge available on this forum.
NRA Life Member
Eagle Scout.

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm

I haven't been around much so this question's probably been considered here. I've got a couple of (Mark II) 22/45's - any chance? I know the Mark III 22/45's have much thinner grips. I've never figured out why they made them so thin.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:35 am

FourCornerm'n wrote:I haven't been around much so this question's probably been considered here. I've got a couple of (Mark II) 22/45's - any chance? I know the Mark III 22/45's have much thinner grips. I've never figured out why they made them so thin.
I think I can understand why they made the 22/45 grips without the ability to change grip panels--cost. It would be an interesting story on how the grips on the MKIII 22/45 ended up as they are.

The SR9 and P345 share the same grip style as the MKIII 22/45, but accommodating 9mm and .45 rounds makes the grips wider and very comfortable.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 am

My theory on the new thinner style was going after the women and youth market. You can increase the girth with add-ons but you can't make it smaller without significant material removal. Lots of new shooters have come in to the game since the introduction of this style of pistol.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:54 am

Dom has been working o he project for the MarkII 22/45 for a few months now. Last contact we had he was close to production.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:04 pm

I've had the idea for years that a two handed hold on a combat handgun should include the weak hand palm being filled by a "pommel" as I call it. The result is that my practice and competition guns always have a piece of wood sticking out from the left side of my grips. I try to sculpt it to fit the open space in the palm of my left hand. It is covered with skateboard pebbly stuff for more friction, but it's main purpose is ergonomics for the semi-isosceles hold I tend to use (though I switch around). I'm bummed by not being able to do this easily within my main arsenal now, which consists entirely of two 22/45's.

On one of them, I've had the left side roughed down (at a woodworking business) so I could glue on the wood, but I've hesitated to do the last step. So, I've wrapped most of the grip with a piece of saddle leather to thicken it and I cover this with my favored foam surgical tape. Have to take it off to clean the gun, which isn't a big deal. But I haven't gotten to making up a pommel for either of these two 22/45's.

As a teenager I used to go with High Power shooter Vic Massie (who lived across the street) and his friend, gunsmith Bauer Rothschild, to their club's shooting range up Angeles Crest (Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club, I think). They each used to say that the function of any weapon was all important, and it didn't hurt at all for the outside of any gun to have some few non interfering scars - evidence of good use. Battle scars, they called them. Looking at my guns you'd see how I've taken that to heart. Most shooter I know take great pride in the looks of their weapons, and I really appreciate this. I'm just the other way, when I realize how good an action, and the accuracy, and functioning is of any gun, it's perfect for me. Partly because I shoot substantial amount of ammo through each of mine.