Which scope for a Ruger Mark lll

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

JLB

Which scope for a Ruger Mark lll

Post by JLB » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Hello,

I am just getting into .22 pistol shooting. I bought a Beretta Neos with a BSA Red Dot. Found it was not the gun for me. Sold it.

I have just bought a Ruger Mark lll competition model. I also got a Ultadot Matchdot to go with it.

I am also wanting to get a scope in the 2x7 range and liked the Leupold 66620 (2.5-8x32mm) till I saw the price. What other options do I have. I will spring for it, if that is the best product for the price. I'd rather spend the money and get quality.

Thanks, Jim

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 pm

JLB, Welcome to Guntalk-Online

When it comes to scopes you need to decide how much eye relief you need. Most pistols scopes have a max of 20" but there are a lot with only 8-10". So you need to figure out how your going to shoot it, 1 handed, 2 handed, with or without rest. Then have someone measure what eye relief you need. Nikon's EER series has the most eye relief. As you go up in power the eye relief goes down. Leupold makes a very good scope and is one of my favorites. I have a Bushnell 2x and it does not give me enough eye relief (20") to shoot with my arms extended. So I do not use it very often because I have to use a reset.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 pm

JLB, welcome to the forum, as far as a ac ope , use whatever you got that pleases you. You might like this, although it is just a little on the Radical side it does work. Here shown with a Tasco 2.5-40x42AO riflescope, although I have shot it with a Tasco 6-24x42AO scope; definitely not a one hander, maybe a two hander, one on the grip and one on the scope body, but it shoots well off the rest shown. Image Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

JLB

Post by JLB » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi bearandoldman,

I want a scope for bench shooting @ 50 yds. I'll use the Matchdot for 25 yds. My 68 yrs eyes need some help.

I may use a 2x on the 25 yd range and try to make only one hole.

I am wanting your pattern.

I'll look into Tasco.

Thanks Jim

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Go for a higher power rifle scope for shooting at 50 yrds.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

JLB wrote:Hi bearandoldman,

I want a scope for bench shooting @ 50 yds. I'll use the Matchdot for 25 yds. My 68 yrs eyes need some help.

I may use a 2x on the 25 yd range and try to make only one hole.

I am wanting your pattern.

I'll look into Tasco.

Thanks Jim
Your eyesa are youner than mine
Here it is with a 6-24x42AO Tasco and it does work.Image

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 pm

I get by just fine with a Burris 2X handgun scope, but I only use the pistol in the field and do not put in much time shooting from a bench or rest. Once I got it sighted in, that was it for the bench - but that's just me.

Click image to see it full-size.

Unless you plan on primarily shooting from the bench with a rest, there really isn't much need for higher magnification on a .22LR handgun.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 am

Unless you plan on primarily shooting from the bench with a rest, there really isn't much need for higher magnification on a .22LR handgun.
For load testing, it's probably a necessity to test the true accuracy. Short of a fixed firing fixture.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

Not relly load testing as I have no interest in competitive shooting, just curious to see how small a group you can shoot with a short barrel. For a pistol it is long, it is a Great Eight. Started out one day when the pistol and the scope were both laying on the bench and curiousity got the best of me. Those groups were shot at 25 yard at an indoor range a few years ago. The setup works well, the wood plate on the bottom of the grip stabilizes the angular wobble.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 am

I have a 14" .22LR match barrel for my contender that I would like to shoot from the bench, but right now the gun is out of action due to problems with the receiver. - It is extremely difficult to open and doesn't really even like to close!

The drill here for .22LR accuracy testing is to obtain a box or two of as many brands and types of ammunition as I can, then shoot a few groups off of the bench with each type, cleaning in-between groups until I have given them all a couple of go-rounds. Then I take the targets home and narrow down the choices to two or three for a second trip to the range, later on.

There's a lot of shooting involved in that process, so the contender barrel will just have to wait until I can get the receiver straightened out. It is difficult to open and close with the other barrel I own too, a .357 maximum. I have been advised to sell the contender receiver but I don't believe in passing problems on to other shooters. - I'd rather just wait and figure out how to fix the thing when I have the time to fool with it.

The .22LR match barrel has nice open sights, but the .357 max has a Bushnell 2-6 handgun scope that has held up to the .357 max recoil just fine, and is good for either the bench or the field. On the bench I shoot it at 6 power, but if I'm standing up on my hind legs with it, I get better results with 2 power.

The Ruger Mk III pictured below is my favorite .22 pistol these days, it is my regular companion on my morning walks around the farm. I have owned dozens of .22 pistols including a few high dollar items like the S&W model 41 and the Stainless Walther PP in .22LR, but I don't think I would trade the Ruger off for any of the other ones now, I've gotten used to handling it and am happy with its performance.

I found out that the Ruger likes the Super-X T-22 target loads, so I keep a brick of that on hand. - I manage to find something or another to shoot it at, just about every day and doing that has had a cumulative effect on my ability to hit at different ranges with a that firearm and load.

If I switched to another pistol or cartridge now, it would take me a while to get to where I could hit anything with it. - And besides that, I have grown quite fond of the Ruger!

The only problem I encountered with it was that the safety button's action was stiff at first, but after some use it loosened up and now it is quite natural to use with my thumb, without having to change my grip. - About like the safety on my .45.