advise on p22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 pm

My wife wanted a P22 so I bought her one. Plenty of failure to feed, failure to eject properly issues. Accuracy was not it's strong suite either. She disliked it and I hated it, soon traded it for another brand pistol.

Now, it could be this particular example was a lemon and since it is the only P22 that I have experience with, I can't say they all are this poor.

Yleefox

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:09 pm

My wife thought the P22 was great, until she fired it.

Oh, did I mention the older extractors tend to throw the brass straight up or back in your face. The brass down the shirt two step is loads of fun.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:46 am

greener, after a few thousand rounds the ejection on ours got more reliable and more to the side.
A VQ extractor made it even more reliable.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:25 am

bigfatdave wrote:greener, after a few thousand rounds the ejection on ours got more reliable and more to the side.
A VQ extractor made it even more reliable.
VQ makes an extractor for one of these? I may have to try that. I went through a number of the fixes in M1911's P22 bible. I didn't try to peen the extractor. I have the older mags and I haven't replaced them or done the mag mod, so the second round does not feed until I hand cycle the slide.

hmm. Gun show this weekend. I wonder how much the P22 gun show loop hole sells for? :lol:

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 am

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/54 ... -extractor

Fairly new product. It helped … but throwing parts into a p22 will never make it into a target pistol.

It did reduce the FTE issues, I couldn't quantify the reduction.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 pm

bigfatdave wrote:https://www.volquartsen.com/products/54 ... -extractor

Fairly new product. It helped … but throwing parts into a p22 will never make it into a target pistol.

It did reduce the FTE issues, I couldn't quantify the reduction.
Thanks, I may give one a try. It should get rid of one of the nagging functions of the P22.

I've had a few good accurate sessions with the P22, but usually not as well as I could do with the Rugers. The P22's are fun plinkers.

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

22's

Post by John fox » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 am

I qualify people at my range for membership. The target is 75 feet away and no one has been able to qualify yet with the Sig or Walther even though they can with a 45. Tells you something about the accuracy of those 22's. Stick with a Ruger or Smith 22A.
NRA Endowment Member

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 am

What do they have to achieve at 25 yards to qualify? At our range all you have to do is hit paper.

R,
Bullseye

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by John fox » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:51 am

They must hit 20 consecutive times in a two foot by two foot target showing good safety at all times of course.
By the way, thanks for all your help in the past!
NRA Endowment Member

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:59 am

Sounds like were talking a similar competency test. I believe we use 30 shots with 20 on paper being satisfactory. Of course they have to be safe with their gun handling and range etiquette.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't have any experience with the Sig, but the Walther is not a 25-yard pistol in the hands of an sub-average to average shooter. Small, light and with a short barrel-it will magnify any shooting flaws you have. Qualification at 25 yards with P22 would be a tall order for a number of folks.

What does "qualification" on your range do for the shooter? A new shooter may be able to put 20 rounds in a 2'x2' target at short range and be able to demonstrate safety and etiquette at 7-10 yards and not be able to qualify at 25 yards. They may require some time to get up to the 25-yard standard. What happens to those folks?

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by John fox » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 am

Those that do not qualify get ample time to practise with help untill they can qualify. They can only fire those calibers with which they qualify. If you do it with a 45 then you may shoot as a member a 45, 9mm, 38 and lower. As far as safety checking, I am a range safety officer.
NRA Endowment Member