Adjustable Trigger for MKII

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

misfire

Adjustable Trigger for MKII

Post by misfire » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:05 am

I'm still upset over the poor machining on my stock SEAR. Bullseye was the inspiration for my sear change. ( Bye the bye, MKII dis/re assembly is really not complicated but it sure is not easy for us fat fingered doofusses) The sear change was a huge improvement, javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy and I was wondering if Bulleseye had a next favorite mod. He has worked out a trigger reset mod that shoud work really well. The repeated tear downs are a bummer but once set it should stay put.
Blindbug: ARE you aware of any kits that reduce pre sear trigger travel?
I think I'm also goining to improve javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happymy 10/22 wirh VQ parts.
Misfire

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Adjustable Trigger for MKII

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:48 am

misfire wrote:poor machining on my stock SEAR.
sear change was a huge improvement
repeated tear downs are a bummer
Very Happy my 10/22 with VQ parts.
Welcome to the forum. I, too, enjoy the Tinker-Factor of
my MK2s and 10/22s. They seem to get a LOT easier to
(dis)assemble with practice/experience. If Ruger had made
the sear to higher-tolerances, then VQ would not be motivated
to mfg/sell a significantly improved version. Take Care.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:50 pm

Replacing the trigger is my next suggestion. The new VQ trigger for the Mark III has external travel adjustments. These outside adjustments mean little repetitive tear downs to get the settings right.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Re: Adjustable Trigger for MKII

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:31 pm

misfire wrote:Blindbug: ARE you aware of any kits that reduce pre sear trigger travel?
It's actually Blindpig; you know, the one that finds an acorn once in a while? But that's OK, to answer your question, I love the Marvel adjustable trigger in mine and so, apparently, does everyone else at my range. They always "marvel" at it! Bullseye, I know, favors the VQ adjustable and they are both dramatic improvements in trigger pull when coupled with the VQ sear.
Have fun with your mods., I know I did!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:36 pm

While I favor the VQ for the occasional installer - what's sitting in my gun is a Marvel trigger. :D

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Bullseye wrote:While I favor the VQ for the occasional installer - what's sitting in my gun is a Marvel trigger.
Well, Bullseye, I thought you were a VQ man all the way. Now that I think about it, though, I believe you were the one who steered me toward the Marvel trigger in combo with the VQ sear and I've never been sorry. I didn't find it that difficult to adjust the trigger but I may have just gotten lucky the first time.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:51 pm

I try to recommend parts that fit with a particular user's maintenance skill level. If someone has difficulty fieldstripping then their "M" level is low and an outside adjustable trigger is a better fit for their abilities. The Mark 3 VQ trigger is a relatively new product and they beefed up the lower part of the trigger to accomodate the adusting screw. I don't think you had luck but a higher "M" level factor that aided you with the initial set-up of your Marvel trigger.

R,
Bullseye

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:38 pm

I have a VQ and a Clark Custom in different pistols. Both are fine products.

The VQ required drilling and tapping for a 4-40 screw into some really tough stainless steel. I broke a tap in it and had to shatter it out. When I was done and had it adjusted for both pre and overtravel, it works perfectly.

The Clark fits better. The trigger is beefier with extra metal. I had to trim it to fit the trigger slot. The front where the pre-travel screw goes had to be trimmed just to get the dis-connector to reset, requiring no pre-travel screw
at all. When fit and cold blued (It's not stainless) it is superior to a factory trigger. My Clark trigger has no side to side play at all and has around .070"
travel from take up to break.

Marvel makes a trigger also. I've no experience with it but it gets good reviews

Ripsaw

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:04 pm

The new VQ target trigger has both of these adjustments pre-installed, no need for drilling and tapping anymore.

R,
Bullseye

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:11 pm

The new VQ target trigger has both of these adjustments pre-installed, no need for drilling and tapping anymore.

R,
Bullseye

This is wonderful news for those installing a VQ trigger!! I was a real
chore to drill and tap the VQ stainless trigger.
I got my VQ trigger in an accuracy package several years.

Ripsaw

misfire

Post by misfire » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:11 am

That is exactly what i was waiting to hear Bullseye. Both adjustments installed on the VQ trigger. I was all set to do the drilling and tapping thing to get pretravel adjustmaent. Thanks a bunch. Got to jump off and get it on order.
Misfire

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 am

You want the new style trigger that looks like this one.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:28 am

Bullseye,
Have you seen or heard anything about VQ taking the "hump" off the back of the new trigger so that it fits all the MK11s?

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:42 pm

I have no update on the trigger modification for Mark II's. For me this is no problem because I'd slap the trigger on the mill and shave off the back to fit in that model pistol, but anyone without one would have to hand file off the excess metal.

R,
Bullseye

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Bulleseye,

Thanks for the picture of the new VQ trigger. The "Delta Method" sure beats the old pre-travel adjustment hassel.

Ripsaw