MK III breech face battering

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

MK III breech face battering

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:52 pm

Just wanted to check if this type of battering incurred on my MK III's breech face by its bolt is considered "normal" for a pistol that has ~9,000 rounds through it.

Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:06 pm

That's quite a bit more defined than I've seen on any Ruger. Sounds like your pistol is functioning properly with that amount of battering but that extractor groove is very distorted. I'd contact Ruger and send them those pictures.

What does the bolt face look like?

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:49 pm

**Please excuse picture sizes, I have tried to size them down on photobucket several times, but my modifications are not being applied.**

The pistol does indeed function properly, but the battering is somewhat deep, very pronounced if you run your fingernail across it. I thought that perhaps the indentations could start to cause problems with pistol's headspacing, or maybe cause some bullet setback. I didn't even notice the distortion of the extractor channel, but now that you point it out, it is quite noticeable.

To my eyes, the bolt face looks like what you'd expect for it's round count. The bolt appears to only be inflecting damage on the breech face, and not receiving any from the breech face. Makes me wonder if the breech portion of this MK III was not properly heat treated.

Below are 2 pictures of the bolt face, the bolt is detail stripped in one of the photos and fully assembled in the other.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't see any appreciable damage to the breech face of the bolt either. My concerns are along a similar line as yours as far as heat treatment. I have seen signs of battering of the breech before but that is very pronounced, especially for the round count you mentioned. This is why I suggest you contact them about the damage to your pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the input, Bullseye. I was aware of similar battering on Ruger breech faces because I had seen a few pictures of the condition, so I was never really alarmed; until I realized how significant it was becoming on my pistols.

I will contact Ruger regarding my pistol's issue on Monday and post an update about their response to the issue.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm

My breech face looks just like that, I have about 40,000 rounds through my gun. I never really worried about it much, i just figured it was normal wear, but apparently it is not good. I already have excessive wear problems with my frame.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:10 pm

The wear pattern I see is not normal for a firearm that only has 9K rounds through it. Some battering is to be expected at 40-100K but that firearm has significant distortion to the breech face and extractor groove. The most critical areas are the chamber mouth and bolt face but damage to the extractor groove can inhibit smooth operation.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Ruger told me they need the entire pistol for evaluation to determine the problem and to determine if it is a manufacturing defect/problem or not.

If Ruger determines nothing to be wrong with the pistol, it is a little disheartening to know that based on their email, it would have cost me over $100 just for them to tell me that.

As always, thanks for the advice and insight!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Are they going to send you a shipping label?

I'm not surprised that they would need the pistol for evaluation. Did they say anything about the photos? You have significant damage to the breech face and extractor groove those issues need to be addressed.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:09 pm

They did not offer to send me a shipping label. I don't mind paying shipping one way. However, paying for shipping too and from, plus a service fee if they don't think anything is wrong with the pistol, that is a bit unreasonable considering that I am sending it to them so they can determine if there is a defect with the pistol, not so they can install a part for me or refinish it.

Unfortunately, it appears i just got one of their generic emails. The only mention of the the photos was that after evaluating them, they need to see the pistol to determine the problem with the pistol. Even though I specifically mentioned the damaged areas in addition to sending the photos, Ruger's email did not address any of the damaged areas on the pistol. The rest of their email was just regarding where to ship, fees, and including a note as to the problems the pistol is having and what work I would like done to the pistol.

I will call Ruger tomorrow and see if they can help me out with the shipping, and make sure that I should still send the pistol considering their email did not really address any of the issues I brought up.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:37 pm

I just had a similar experience with Ruger. Even though you and I both sent very clear pictures of the problem, they still insist to have it shipped out for evaluation. They told me they would send a shipping label, but if the issue with my gun was determined not to be there fault, then i would be charged $35.00 an hour for labor, and $30.00 for return shipping, not to mention they will take aftermarket or altered part of your gun and charge you for the factory parts they replace them with, and they don't include that information in the e-mail.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:08 pm

You can request all of your parts back. I though I read some where that they would do that.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:20 pm

You can ask to speak with one of their technicians to describe the problem. Be nice when you talk with them and ask for them to send you a pre-paid shipping label for your firearm.

Be sure to reinstall all the factory parts into your pistol. Send them the pistol in the plastic case and include just one magazine. No need to send any of the accessories just the pistol and one mag.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:23 pm

I spoke to a Ruger technician and he said that the battering and distortion to the extractor channel was not normal, especially for the round count. The tech said that the pistol needed to be evaluated to determine the issue causing the battering. Although I do not really know what issue it could be aside from improper heat treatment to the receiver. I decided not to ask for a shipping label as I'm sure Ruger is trying to turn a profit just as hard as everyone else in this economy.

It is my understanding that the Ruger .22 pistol barrels are actually screwed into the receiver of the pistol, is this correct? If this is the case that the receiver and barrel are two separate parts, are they heat treated together or separately? I ask because I am wondering, if there is an issue with the heat treatment of the receiver, does that mean there is also an issue with the heat treatment of the barrel as well.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Ruger's reply is consistent with both our earlier thoughts.

The barrel is indeed threaded into the receiver tube. When I commented on the receiver, I included the barrel as part of the whole assembly. They are not designed to be separated. The battering damage is visible on the breech end of the barrel and that is the component likely improperly heat treated. Ruger doesn't typically replace the barrels on their .22 auto pistols. In the manufacturing process the receiver tubes are cut to shape after the barrels are inserted using the front sight screw hole as a indexing guide for the CNC milling process. Generally they'll offer to replace the whole pistol with a new one if the situation warrants it.

Do not be concerned they will do right by you for your pistol.

R,
Bullseye